Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I Want To Try Steel

ParaJoe

Here's the deal. I'm still fairly new to shooting but shoot all I can. Right now it's two matches a month and one 300 round practice session. I would like to shoot a Steel Match but I don't want to drive 150+ miles to do it (the closest club I found was Piru). My local club shoots a .22 steel match every other month and there is usually a pretty big interest in it. Quite a few times people have brought out their regular IPSC pistols and shot them also and more are going to next time. So I was thinking, how about having a steel match at our club? Run what ya brung type of deal with different classes for scoring. Entrance fees kept low due to just having to get more paint for the targets.

The problem is that I want to do this without pissing off the SCSA folks. I know it sounds dumb because it is a local match worth no more than bragging rights and good practice. My other problem is that the club I shoot in is an IPSC based club and we don't have the correct sized steel. We have the standard 8" round plates and some square steels. Might I be able to use the steels I have until I can get the club to get the correct size? Just move them in a little closer or something while keeping the correct angles?

Any help or suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JOe

I design the stages for the Norco SSA steel match. It's not as simple as wanting to to run a match so lets do it. Typically you need the proper insurance too. If you are running a steel match you'll need plenty of steel, a means to drag it around (golf cart, truck, or something to pull a flatbed), place to store steel such as a shed or trailer, and means to repair steel (welding).

I would say if they are letting you use your ipsc guns for the .22 rimfire match just do that. Get involved with that match, help them set up, break down. Suggest that they expand and vary their format.

I would also recommend you try out the various other steel match in So. Cal. Piru is Steel Challenge. So it is pretty much just that one format. In Norco we run a IPSC style run and gun steel match. Lots of poppers, plate racks, falling plates, and static plates. Palm Springs runs a awesome steel match as well.

The steel calender breaks down like this. First, third and fifth sundays there is steel at Norco. Second sunday there is steel at Palm Springs with another match at the rockpile (near Temecula). So you can get a 2 for 1 steel match that day.

I would suggest you take a weekend to check out those matches. At Norco we run a IPSC match every saturday as well. You could come down one weekend and have a ipsc on sat, steel on sunday shooting orgy. Let me know I'm active at both matches and will introduce you to the guys.

Oh we run steel cahllenge too at all 3 clubs. Norco will start steel challenge in July up to the big steel challenge event, Palm springs and West end run a monthly SC match. Rock pile has 2 SC stage a month along with their regular steel match.

I guess I should have been a little more specific. For me to get to any of the steel matches that are remotely close to me is a 300 mile round trip. I already to that once a month for a match and I can't afford to do it twice. Maybe once every other month. We already have a bunch of steel targets here we just don't have the 10, 12, and 18x24" plates. We'll think of something. Thanks for the info.

JOe

Cool there is one closer!!! Well I could make this one. It's going to be a little tough being as my club shoots on the third Sunday and this is the third Saturday. I'm not going to be able to make it this month because the lack of planning but next month I'm going to try to go. Thanks for the help Chuck S. Where did you find this? Is this where you shoot? Have a good night. JOe

Cool there is one closer!!! Well I could make this one. It's going to be a little tough being as my club shoots on the third Sunday and this is the third Saturday. I'm not going to be able to make it this month because the lack of planning but next month I'm going to try to go. Thanks for the help Chuck S. Where did you find this? Is this where you shoot? Have a good night. JOe

It's just one of the many clubs in MidSoCal. It's literally 5 miles from my house, so that's how I found it.

It's just one of the many clubs in MidSoCal. It's literally 5 miles from my house, so that's how I found it.

Well I don't really consider Ridgecrest MidSocal. Middle of nowhere if you ask me. It seems like everything is 2 hours away though so maybe I am in the middle of everything??? <_<

JOe

Well I don't really consider Ridgecrest MidSocal. Middle of nowhere if you ask me. It seems like everything is 2 hours away though so maybe I am in the middle of everything??? <_<

JOe

I consider Ridgecrest NorSoCal, my area (Los Angeles, etc.) MidSoCal, and San Diego SoSoCal. IOW, I think you're dead on with your description. ;)

Btw, to answer the original question, we have a couple local steel matches. One uses correct sized steel and measured out Steel Challenge stages. The other uses whatever sizes of plates are convenient (some are SC-sized, some not), and lays the courses out somewhat haphazardly or not at all like the SC stages if they feel like it. The number of 'steel purists' that don't shoot the mixed-bag match is small, and SCSA couldn't seem to care less, so I wouldn't worry about it.