Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 falls in 2 matches!

Ben Stoeger

I had an IDPA match Saturday and Monday... Due to wet grass and being a moron, I managed to fall over, gun in hand, during a stage at both matches. I didn't 180, or sweep myself, but it was unnerving anyway. I have got some new shoes now, (nearly cleats) so I don't think it will happen again. But 2 falls in 2 matches has got to be some kind of record.

We have had a ton of rain lately. I finaly plunked down the cash to go get some good baseball cleats. They have mad me feel much more sure footed. I didn't think I would notice a big differnce, but it was like night and day on wet grass. I found some cheap cleats for $27, it was worth every penny.

But 2 falls in 2 matches has got to be some kind of record.

Nope - sorry Ben. I spent almost an entire year on the ground at matches :P Well, at least that's what it felt like. But seriously, I did fall 3 matches in a row! First, I fell off a hay bale, second, I tripped over a fault line and then third one, I tripped over, um, well, the ground :)

I had a fun one, couple years ago, heavy rain had collected, and puddled in the grass at the corner of range. You had to run about 20 feet to clear a visual obstruction. The finish off the three targets that appeared. I put the sprint on but when I went to stop the feet kept going. I started to slide like a kid on one of lawn vinyls you wet with water. Legs were spread about 40 degrees evenly apart. Kept the muzzle pointed level. Slide like 8/10 feet to just in front of the targets. The mud had been flying up from between my legs and covered my chest, face, glasses. Used my shoulder to clear a spot on my glasses and finished off the last three targets. The gun was mud covered also. I did the unload and show clear from sitting position in mud. The RO's were laughing so hard, I had to wait for the range safe command. My holster was full of mud also. Went and found a hose and cleaned up. Thank goodness it was the last stage. I still carry cleats with me since then.

I think that Ben has been shooting some IDPA type matches. From the current rule book:

"2. Cleats.

Cleated shoes designed for specific sports (i.e., football, baseball, golf, etc.) may not be worn."

Gorilla, why? Cause Billy say so!

I'm wearing some "tactical" type boots with agressive lug patterns. Gorilla, I know how much you like your "tactical" equipment so I had to throw that one in just for you. :P

Rick

I think that Ben has been shooting some IDPA type matches.  From the current rule book:

"2. Cleats.

Cleated shoes designed for specific sports (i.e., football, baseball, golf, etc.) may not be worn."

Gorilla, why?  Cause Billy say so!

I'm wearing some "tactical" type boots with agressive lug patterns.  Gorilla, I know how much you like your "tactical" equipment so I had to throw that one in just for you. :P

Rick

I know... my comment was a thinly veiled criticism. I guess I just don't get sacrificing health and safety for the sake of appearance.