Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mozambique, Bill Drill?

Chills1994

Hi everyone,

Shot another IDPA style match tonight at a local indoor range. They call it Fight Night, every Tuesday night.

Anyway.... one stage was called Mozambique streak.

So why do they call two to the chest and one to the head a Mozambique?

What is a Bill Drill?

Thanks,

Chills

This has been asked before, at least of the Bill Drill, but I couldn't find the posts quickly by searching, so ...

Bill Drill: "6 shots into the A zone of an IPSC target at 7 yds in under 2 seconds" Start facing it with hands at sides. Any non-A fails the test. Master class par time is 2.0.

Mozambique

For your homework, find out what a Dozier drill is. :)

You spelled it right Eric in that I have been getting a few hits on the term but still haven't found a COF for it yet. I did find one on a Texas IDPA link that had a COF for a modified Dozier drill. I found another site that made a reference to it. I'll keep searching since you put the challenge out there; just need to try a different search engine than this site or MSN. Did a search on this forum and nothing showed up except this thread. I'll keep trying.

Rick

Have a few links to search:

http://www.tacticalshooters.com/COF/Scenario_78.htm

This was taken from the following link: http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/fa-tr...s250c-day4.html

"The first was the “Dozier Drill.” The shooter started with his back to five pepper poppers. At the sound of the timer, the shooter turned and engaged all five targets. This section was run by Ed Stock and he made it clear that he wouldn't “be impressed by anything less than five seconds.” We got two chances at this, I missed one target my first time and just missed the five second “mandate.” On my second try, I didn't miss any targets and met the goal. This was a great exercise because you had to be quick but you could not miss. This forced the shooter to search for that point where speed and accuracy were perfectly balanced."

Took longer to find than I expected - sounds fun.

Rick

Five seconds for the Dozier, huh? I think I can do that with a reload, weak hand. :) I recall it being a surrender start, back to targets. That didn't give a distance but I think it's 10 yards. It's supposed to simulate/re-enact a robbery or kidnapping attempt, which would have to be closer, but for safety's sake, you gotta keep the steel back there.

• 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread, which doesn't appear to have been answered...

The "Dozier Drill" is named after Brig. Gen. James Dozier, who was kidnapped by the Italian Red Brigade terrorist group in 1981. The drill was designed as an exercise to be able to rapidly engage up to six targets in a kidnapping/assassination scenario. (Dozier was kidnapped by four men posing as plumbers.) I've seen the drill run using either pepper poppers or round plates. I don't know which version is the "original".

The "Bill Drill" or "Six Shot Drill" is properly credited to Bill Rogers (http://www.rogers-shooting-school.com). Bill has trained a lot of military folks and earning "high shooter" at one of his courses was considered a significant accomplishment.

The "Mozambique Drill" (or just "Mozambique") is properly credited to Col. Jeff Cooper, and is named after an incident that happened in Mozambique many years ago. Mike Rouseau was involved in the fighting around Laurenco Marquez airport and, turning a corner of a building, encountered a terrorist at close range. Mike shot the terr twice center-of-mass with a P35 (Browning Hi-Power). The shots appeared to not affect the terr and Mike quickly followed-up with a shot between the terr's collar bones, severing his spinal cord. (The "Mozambique Drill" obviously differs in that the follow-up shot is to the head.) There's another version of the story in which the terr was carrying his AK-47 at port arms and two center-of-mass shots struck the rifle, which is why he appeared to not be affected by the initial shots. I don't know which version of the story is most accurate (Mike Rouseau can't tell us as he was later killed in action in the Rhodesian War). Nevertheless, there's the origin of the "Mozambique Drill".

Edited by Short Bus