Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Thinning

Jeremiah

My heinie sights needs some tweaking. My front sight is within a thousandth of my rear notch. I want to shave off about .015 to .025 off the front. What is the best method to do this?

Which file do I need and what cold blue should I use afterwards?

The Heinie front sights for the glock are completely flat.

So, I take the sight, and run one side (at a time) along a file that I lay flat on the bench.

Measure until you have removed half the distance you are looking to thin.

Then, flip the sight over and take the other half from the other side.

I'd do a dovetail sight the same. I'd just have to ensure I used a file with a safe side edge... and, over-hang the dovetail portion

I'm going to have to buy a file anyways, so which one should I get? I know about the safety side as well.

What should I reblue with? The sights are actually pretty black, and fairly dull. Is there anything that will match up well? How about you, Flex, what do you do to your hienies after filing?

Buy high quality mill file with safe side. Might be hard to find at lowes.

Take same amount of both sides. Use a blue magic marker to keep track that you are taking it off evenly.

Any cold blue will work. Just clean with brake clean and don't touch with fingers or oily rag Use clean paper towels.

Where do you go to get a high qualify file? What kind of grit should I get? I assume fine would work?

Hey Flex, I just noticed that you are from McConnelsville. I lived there for about a year a few years back. That is some beautiful country! It's nice and hilly. Everywhere you look there is a backstop....

A safe edge file is the best & can be obtained from Brownells. Alternatively, there is a brand called Nicholson that is a very old US company; I have a set from around the turn of the century or thereabouts. Home depot sometimes carries such files. I use a benchtop mill for sight thinning.

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

I like the oxpho sp? blue from brownells.. It comes out very black and glossiness dependson how much you polish the flats before you apply.... Normally I cut my sights slightly thinner in front and wider in the back picture it like this/ \ but not that exageratted. Just in case you don't cut the sides perfectly flat it won't mess up your sight picture....

I picked up a nicholson file today from lowe's. It has a safe edge on it, but I think it isn't safe enough. It feels like the cuts on the opposite side edge will cut a nice cut into the area that I don't want to touch. I think I may be able to tape up my safe area, and this knife edge wouldn't get to it. I guess I won't know until I try it.

Wish me luck.