Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended tubes

Flexmoney

I am looking on page 52 of the Brownell's catalog (#53).  They state that the extended tubes add +5 rounds.  With the factory setup of 4+1 that works out to 10 rounds.  Are they being conservative?  Will either the +5 from Choate or the +5 from Tacstar actually give a total of eleven rounds?

On as side note.  Natchez carries the Tacstar.  Their retail price beats Brownells dealer price.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Choate +5 too and so did my buddy on 11-87's. We were praticing the other day and the rubber plug on the end of the mag tube shot out of his gun along with the spring! Now I'm looking for a way to make a plug that wont come out.

(Edited by Singlestack at 6:55 am on Aug. 1, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...

Storm,

Winchester AA loads fit (2 3/4)

Federal Value-paks from Walmart fit.

My neighbor had some Remington rounds.  He could only get nine in the tube with them.  He compared them with some Federal rounds.  The Remington rounds were indeed longer.

• 1 year later...

I experienced this too.  Ordered a Choate tube and could only fit 9 rounds in the tube.  I called Choate to see what was up.  The Choate gal explained that the description was somewhat confusing but that the tube provided a TOTAL of 10 rounds.  Nine in the tube plus one in the chamber.  I returned it and ordered a 10 rounder from Daves Metal Works, since my DMW tube for my Benelli actually holds 10 rounds.  Imagine that.  More money for sure, but I won't have plastic plugs flying out the end of the tube (like Singlestack witnessed) at inopportune times either.  More money for a better product, that sounds fair!

do you guys have a law out there stopping more rounds in shotgun or do you just love short barrels, my psg 1187 has a 28 inch tube and extended custom mag that takes 15 - 65mm shells. Over here that is standard class

or would that become modified / open, in the USA ??

I think Mike's posting is slightly mis-leading about the state of play in the UK.

The IPSC 2002 rule book provides 3 Divisions - Open, Standard and Limited.  It has become clear that from Region to Region the concept of "Standard" is different and so for 2003 "Standard" Division has been renamed "Modified" but is otherwise the same and there will be no division referred to as "Standard".

IPSC Limited Division, in 2002, restricts the initial load to 8 rounds.  For 2003 this is changed to 7 rounds loaded in the tube.  A subtle change that doesn't change things much unless you have an earlier M1 Benelli and take advantage of the extra round on the floor plate.

Again for 2003, Limited Division has been split into Pump/Slide Action and Semi-auto Divisions.

Modified Division is restricted in capacity by virtue of a maximum overall length of the gun with this being set at 1320mm.

For Open Division anything goes and so no restriction in length or capacity.

In the UK for many a year everyone competed together in just one division.  Then gradually longer and longer mag tubes were introduced and this year the UK has seen about a third of competitors moved to Open Division by virtue of gun length because of the extended tubes.

The set up that Mike describes with 15 rounds in the tube would not make the current Standard Division (2003 Modified) but instead would have to go into Open.  It is just, and only just, feasible that someone with a short stock could get into Standard Division (2003 Modified) with a tube capacity of 14, giving 15 rounds total.  Short (65mm) cartridges are essential to achieve the above.

I hope this helps clarify things a little.

It has become very clear to me that there is some disparity between the Regions as to what the Divisions should be for shotgun.  It's too late to change things now for 2003 but I have made a plea elsewhere in these Forums for feedback as the IPSC rules are again being considered for change to take effect Jan 2004.  I intend to start a new Forum specifically to try to get some debate going about Divisions to help wth the rule writing process.  All input gratefully received.   See Forum: "IPSC Rules Questions" soon.