Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Kydex Holster for Open gun

poortrader

Ya it will have to be something similar.  I've remolded a bladetech from my lim gun SN trimmed it, I've also made them from scratch. Either way you have to make room for the mount. 

Longs holster (custom kydex co in CO) made some for cha-Lee as well, they turned out good

Just now, Todd7446 said:

They do pretty sweet work on MKA-1919 mag pouches, too, don't they? ;)

Yes, after seeing their holsters we contacted them to make our drop leg holsters for our big stick shotgun mags. They work equally well to hold 10's 18's 23's & 28 round mags

I have not, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I wouldn't mold it with the optic on, and if the blast shield comes off I'd take it off too, then low cut the top like the blade tech above so those two features don't even matter, and block it out for the mount, and from the mount to the rear of the gun.

Getting the design right to have enough retention might be a little tricky. Also with the extremely low cut top you need to either have your drop adapter/belt mount attach low on the shell, get the holster shell near perfectly smooth, or design in some bends to add rigidity, otherwise it is apt to flex along a bend perpendicular to the bore and crack prematurely. At least that's been my experience.

I have a Speed Rig but the holster doesn't cover the full length of the muzzle break.   I'm thinking about putting a wooden block to simulate the optic so I would have a  holster that would cover everything instead of having the optic exposed.  

2 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

So why would anyone want to do this??? My open guns go in race rigs... kydex is for IDPA or production shooters.

There is a lot of prone, crawling through stuff, climbing in/over stuff, I do it for protection of my optic.

My FF lll had a big dent/bend in the hood from banging into 'stuff ' when I kept it in my speed rig.