Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You Count Too

Kat,

I like the idea, but it runs afoul of 1.1.5.3:

"Standard Exercises and Classifiers may specify shooting with the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the remainder of the string or stage."

You could make it multiple strings, or require something like, "3 on any target freestyle, mandatory reload, 3 on another target freestyle, mandatory reload, 3 on last target Stronghand only/Weakhand only."

I like the idea of using something other than 2 per target.

...Mark

It might should say "engage only one target freestyle" too. Otherwise there might be some folks out there stacking shots putting 3 on T1, 5 on T2, 2 on T3 freestyle, reload and wing one shot downrange stronghand, reload and wing another weakhand.

Kath,

don't know about USPSA, but basically (in IPSC) if you're going to mandate something (reload, strong hand, weak hand, etc.) it has to be a Standard Exercise, with Virginia Count method (single or multiple strings at your choice).

Ray - it's illegal because I mandated strong hand, but didn't end the shooting there :(

Yeah, then staging the thing is an answer. There are a lot of good designs that the new book snafued. They just need to be tweeked a little to work again.

-  10 rounds from one shooting position ?  (1.2.1.x)

Since it looks like a Standard Exercise, wouldn't 1.2.2.1 give an exception? If shot in 2 strings it could require up to 24 rounds (ala SRT's suggestion).

"Freestyle first, then strong hand. Second string, freestyle then weak hand."

That would work. It would also make it a 120 point stage. I don't think the sand-baggers we hear so much about would be too inclined to deliberately toss a stage worth that many points.

...Mark

Classifiers don't have to be standard exercises. I personally don't like strings - but I think I'm going to make this one timed fire, with freestyle, reload, freestyle, reload, strong hand.

With the mandatory reloads, I'm okay making it 10 from one position, right?

Right. They don't have to be standards.

Personally, I vote for one string (I hate that new rule about resetting between strings). Plus, multiple starts slow a stage down. But then I'm not too wild about fixed-time, either.

You could do freestyle, reload, freestyle, reload, strong hand, or freestyle, reload, freestyle, reload, weak hand and be legal.

A standard exercise is (by definition) a stage that has more than one string.

Good point. I should have said, "Since it is a Standard Exercise......".

Ummm...it is NOT a standard...there is not more than one string.

A standard exercise is (by definition) a stage that has more than one string.

Good point. I should have said, "Since it is a Standard Exercise......".

Ummm...it is NOT a standard...there is not more than one string.

Ummm...you're right (this is what I get for typing here while working :wacko: ). I just reread the whole thread and don't know where I got the idea Kathy was going to make it 2 strings (I'm hoping she doesn't). And no, I haven't been drinking. :)

Thanks, Flex.

Personally, I vote for one string (I hate that new rule about resetting between strings). Plus, multiple starts slow a stage down. But then I'm not too wild about fixed-time, either.

Hmmm, in my limited experience, we can clear a multi-string classifier in the same amount of time as a field course ---- and we want that, so every squad rotates at roughly the same time.....

As far as scoring between strings, we set dual arrays for those......