Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rest on Limited gun or other

phil plesetz

I like it more for grip consistency and comfort than muzzle control.  Its an excellent index point to make sure your grip is nice.  Some people claim they like it for muzzle control but I feel that if your putting that much pressure on it you may be affecting accuracy.  Some guys cant shoot with it for that reason.  Their accuracy when shooting at speed falls off.  I have no problems so I use it.

I started out using it as a place to consistently rest the thumb.  When I tried to use it to control the flip, the front site would not go straight up and down.

Now, the more I've shot with it, the more I find myself using it to control the flip and actually putting a lot of downforce on it.   

I don't see how you push shots when using it.  If you are pushing your shot then you are changing your grip as you pull the trigger thus moving your sights.  I grip hard and push down on both thumb rest and safety.  I would challenge the people that are "pushing" their shots to really look at their grip.

36 minutes ago, eern said:

I don't see how you push shots when using it.  If you are pushing your shot then you are changing your grip as you pull the trigger thus moving your sights.  I grip hard and push down on both thumb rest and safety.  I would challenge the people that are "pushing" their shots to really look at their grip.

the pushing I have seen from shooters is on follow up shots when they use the rest to drive the gun down.  To me, this is something that can be overcome with some live fire shooting.....

Many previous debates on this. 

Used them in limited and open. 

Began using them more as an indexing tool to ensure consistent grip. Saw criticism from guys on here who said they are a crutch, my fundamentals must suck, must have a sissy weak grip etc.  despite that rubbish I found it a useful tool to improve my shooting. 

I did find that using the rest to actively counter recoil was counterproductive. It changed how the gun tracked in recoil in an unpredictable way. The result being that shooting at speed became more erratic with paired shots. Good grip mechanics and strength is paramount. To this end I think the thumbrest is something reserved for the developed shooter looking for fine tuning his game versus a first year competitor who should be more focused on execution than results. 

Snow sucks (just felt like saying that today)

1 hour ago, ScottieShootz said:

the pushing I have seen from shooters is on follow up shots when they use the rest to drive the gun down.  To me, this is something that can be overcome with some live fire shooting.....

I can see that and agree that a little live fire is going to prove that a rest is either for you or not.