Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size Dot?

Depends on what kind of matches you are shooting it in. Right now I am only shooting steel, either Steel Challenge, USPSA all steel and outlaw steel events. I use a 12 MOA dot and I find I can hit 4" knock offs at 50 yards easily with that size. Although that size is more appropriate for Steel Challenge, same as my rimfires. Only time I shot a dot that big at 100 yards or longer was at the side match of the Alabama NSSF Rimfire Challenge and the World NSSF. 10 round mag max, rimfire rifle, 7 steel plates staggered from 20-150 yards, cleaned the first run in 9 rounds and the second in all 10 (best 2 out of 3 runs). First run I got the 150y target in 2 rounds but hit the 100y and 125y targets in consecutive rounds. Targets were I think 20, 35, 50, 75, 100, 125, and 150 yards. All the over 75  were round plates but the closer ones varied some being silhouette animals. Plate sizes went up the farther away they were. Toughest for most shooters was the pig at 50y because if you had a 25y zero a rimfire shoots high at 50 yards and most shooters did not realize they had to aim low at that target to hit it the first time (plus the pig shape confused many). That was in fact my other miss in the first run as I did not aim low enough on the first shot at it.

Its all a matter of having the bullet drop in your head. Plus the fact that it helps to know what the POI is of the top and bottom edges of your dot in case you need to use them. For instance if shooting an EOTech on a 3-gun 5.56, a 300y plate usually requires you to hold the dot 3 dot diameters high (slightly less actually) if using a 100y zero. One reason I like BDC scopes for rifle competition except long range.

Edited by photoracer
additional info

I am planning on mostly shooting uspsa and some 3 gun with it. do you find the larger dot faster to pick up? i would think it would be the fastest on paper and if you are saying you have no problem shooting a 4" plate at 50 yds thats seems the way to go!

Hello: I would use a C-More railway 6MOA dot for your PCC. Easy to pickup and works great for head shots at 25 yards. If you are doing precision stuff I would go to a 4MOA dot on a C-More railway. I would look at all the options out there to see what suits you best. Some like tube scopes better than reflex ones. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I would look at the 4MOA as well if you do some really tight long shots. I have used 4,6,8,12 and 16 MOA dot modules in my guns. The 6 just is the best all around. The 8 is better if you have sunlight issues like I did have when I lived in Albuquerque. I have also used a Weaver 1-3 scope as well in the Texas Carbine State match years ago. Lots of options so little money :D Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

You might scoff but give the $70.00 Sight Mark a try...I don't like looking down a tube. To me the fastest acquisition is an open glass, red dot. I have C-Mores on most pistols. That said I use the Sight Mark Ultra or other model. on my 2 PPC rifles (CZ Scorpion, AR 9MM, PSA Glock lower). The "circle dot" mode in red is my pick AND it's bright enough to see in the Arizona summer sun. Been running them for at least a year, no problems other than a loose battery cap once.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I never scoff at inexpensive optics that work and last, they're just not that common. My TRS25 and your Sightmark being the exceptions.

I agree about preferring the open glass optic, though I find it makes no difference in my shooting (so I'm either equally proficient with either or so bad a shooter that the optic won't help, draw your own conclusions).

Right now I have the TRS25 working, when (if) it craps out, I have C More STS on a backup PCC (uses Colt mags, so I'd probably just swap uppers), then an Aimpoint ACO that I got in a trade I'll install as a last resort. For whatever reason, I'm red dot rich these days. 

Edited by robertg5322