Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 3rd Gen Auto with Frame mounted safety

JimmyBob

So I've decided that I want to try to run a S&W 3rd Gen (for the 3rd time actually) and I'm trying to find a specific variant but can't figure out the model number.

Which 3rd Gen model number(s) had the frame-mounted safeties? 

Edited by JimmyBob

5906,4006,1006,4506 all used a version of this ...some were spring loaded decoking,others were safeties only,some model 52 and PPC'9 were hammer block only.

My 5" 5906 is a spring loaded decoking lever on the slide like the 4" 5906 IDPA version.

Tom

Hi JB,

You are looking for 5926, 5936 (9mm) or 4526, 4536, 4576 (45acp) models with that frame mounted decock function. Happy hunting!

Oh scratch the above...missed your follow up post that the decocker is NOT what you seek.

Edited by Yeti
Thought incorrectly that OP was looking for decocker variant

Model 945.  Had the slide safety holes plugged and frame mounted safeties like a 1911.  Performance Center guns.  Still want one.  Haven't seen one in years, surely discontinued.  

Edited by sheepdog

49 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

Model 945.  Had the slide safety holes plugged and frame mounted safeties like a 1911.  Performance Center guns.  Still want one.  Haven't seen one in years, surely discontinued.  

YES!  That's it exactly.  Wow those are expensive, might have to rethink this plan, I wouldn't use one for competition if it cost that much, still want one as a heirloom now.

Image result for s&w 945

Hmmm, I was kinda hoping to find a double stack 9mm, didn't realize this would be a semi-custom only thing.  Might have to settle for a Tactical model instead for the games...

Edited by JimmyBob

• 2 weeks later...

945s show up on GunBroker fairly often or you could hunt one on the S&W board. Conventional wisdom over there is that nice specimens run $1300 and up. There are lots of variants, 3" barrels, commander length and various finishes. They come standard with a spherical Briley bushing. They are great guns but can be finicky in re accuracy or so I'm told. Magazines can be hard to find although you can modify 4506, 645 mags to fit. I think it's a pretty cool concept. I'm a big fan of 3rd Gen S&Ws. I'm not sure what division you can run these. Single stack is a no go, I'm pretty sure. Mags only hold 8 rounds so L10 is a problem......