Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Case Feeder Question

When finished cartridges leave station 5 (after crimp)....they end up exiting the shell plate and going down a short ramp.. On my 650XL, they drop into a blue Arco plastic bin....... THAT is the "standard loaded cartridge bin" referred to above.  edit:  the bin is supplied as part of the 650XL basic package so....you have one.

second edit:  My process is pretty simple.  I fill the Arco bin with cleaned ready-to-load cases level with the exit ramp of the bin on the labeling end (don't overload the Arco).  Spill these out onto a towel and spray with One Shot.  Wait to dry, then dump into feeder.  If I am loading a larger run, I will fill/drop/spray the "next" batch....that can now be drying while I load the first batch.

Edited by amada8

5 minutes ago, amada8 said:

When finished cartridges leave station 5 (after crimp)....they end up exiting the shell plate and going down a short ramp.. On my 650XL, they drop into a blue Arco plastic bin....... THAT is the "standard loaded cartridge bin" referred to above.  edit:  the bin is supplied as part of the 650XL basic package so....you have one.

Thank you and yes I do have one, just didn't know that was what he was referencing. And that is interesting because I used a small plastic cup that held 200 casings of 9 and that Arco bin looks like it will hold more than that I think..? Will have to check that out later...

Did you bolt your bench down solid to the wall?

If not, take note of how much that casefeeder is swaying when you load. Then lag the bench into the studs and compare.

I may get one or two inverted cases naming things up in 1,000 rounds loaded. Usually it's a .40 or .380 slipping through my inspection process that messes with me.

I load around 150 cases at a time. Spray the inside of a Tupperware with one shot for two seconds, dump them in my hand and swirl around. Check one last time for steel or .380s or what have you, and dump them in with each new stack of primers.

Welcome to the world of tips and tricks. There is a thread devoted to 650 tips and tricks. If your press moves much at all during loading it will shake the CF just enough to cause upside down cases. A good tip and trick is to make sure the press is mounted to a bench that does not move at all. Then mount the CF to the wall or directly to the bench. Getting it off of the 650 itself cured virtually all of my CF related issues. This works well especially if your press is on a strong mount. There is a lot of leverage and torque being exerted on the press. It wiggles more than you think even if mounted to a concrete floor. :)

Like you I use a sour cream tub or something that holds ~200 9mm cases and put in two at a time and its nowhere near too full.

18 hours ago, amada8 said:

second edit:  My process is pretty simple.  I fill the Arco bin with cleaned ready-to-load cases level with the exit ramp of the bin on the labeling end (don't overload the Arco).  Spill these out onto a towel and spray with One Shot.  Wait to dry, then dump into feeder.  If I am loading a larger run, I will fill/drop/spray the "next" batch....that can now be drying while I load the first batch.

Thanks amada8, sounds like a great system!

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Did you bolt your bench down solid to the wall?

If not, take note of how much that casefeeder is swaying when you load. Then lag the bench into the studs and compare.

I may get one or two inverted cases naming things up in 1,000 rounds loaded. Usually it's a .40 or .380 slipping through my inspection process that messes with me.

I load around 150 cases at a time. Spray the inside of a Tupperware with one shot for two seconds, dump them in my hand and swirl around. Check one last time for steel or .380s or what have you, and dump them in with each new stack of primers.

Thanks for the reminder Memphis. I got so caught up wanting to use my new CF I forgot about securing my table as you recommended... It backs up to the foundation wall (poured concrete) guess I will have to drill the concrete and then lag, no worries though I can do that. Would it be best to still secure the CF to the wall also?

Thx again!

IGG

Oh by the way, the new loads @ 3.3 TG are running my 19 well! 1st in div (ssp) and 5th overall last night in IDPA match :cheers:

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

Welcome to the world of tips and tricks. There is a thread devoted to 650 tips and tricks. If your press moves much at all during loading it will shake the CF just enough to cause upside down cases. A good tip and trick is to make sure the press is mounted to a bench that does not move at all. Then mount the CF to the wall or directly to the bench. Getting it off of the 650 itself cured virtually all of my CF related issues. This works well especially if your press is on a strong mount. There is a lot of leverage and torque being exerted on the press. It wiggles more than you think even if mounted to a concrete floor. :)

Like you I use a sour cream tub or something that holds ~200 9mm cases and put in two at a time and its nowhere near too full.

I will go and read those too. I built my bench a little higher than normal consequently this eliminated a need for the strong mount. My first project is to bolt my table to the wall before Memphis comes over here and shoots me :goof:

Then perhaps secure the CF to the wall as well OR I might just attach a custom bent pipe hung down from the ceiling (it's in my basement) directly above my 650 and hang it from there removing it completely from the 650 as you suggested. I think I like the latter scenario better!

This should help provide solutions to two issues. The upside down brass from my CF AND perhaps even help tighten up my COAL variances too..?

I have 2500 coated pellets being delivered tomorrow, this should be a fun weekend downstairs :D

Thanks Top!

On 12/14/2016 at 8:27 PM, Sarge said:

I secured the back of my table to the wall, even bolted the legs to the concrete floor, and supported the CF with a large dowel between it and the wall and still had an upside down case... Going to try to mount the CF to the table and off the 650 completely as suggested. Unbelievable how much it still moves after all that...

The casefeeder is on top of a thinwall piece of steel tubing that is fixed to the top of the press you're rocking back and forth with a 2.5' long pry bar. It's always going to sway some, unless you move it off the press.

You'll still never avoid having one inverted case every 100-500 assembled rounds, though. It's going to happen occasionally. At least they are the least frustrating type of "jam."

Another bit of advice: Fill two small boxes with brass. One gets kept full of clean spent brass that is ready to go into station 1 if a case needs to be discarded. The second box is kept full of a few dozen pieces of sized and deprived brass. That box is the key. Anytime you pitch a defective case or clear a jam, you currently end up with a brand new primer coming off the press onto the "ski jump" chute. Right?

Well, keep a box of deprimed and sized brass handy, and you can simply stick one of those into station 2 after culling a bad case, push that primer up into it instead of letting it spit out the side of the machine... and keep going without building up a stockpile of primers on the ski jump.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The casefeeder is on top of a thinwall piece of steel tubing that is fixed to the top of the press you're rocking back and forth with a 2.5' long pry bar. It's always going to sway some, unless you move it off the press.

You'll still never avoid having one inverted case every 100-500 assembled rounds, though. It's going to happen occasionally. At least they are the least frustrating type of "jam."

Another bit of advice: Fill two small boxes with brass. One gets kept full of clean spent brass that is ready to go into station 1 if a case needs to be discarded. The second box is kept full of a few dozen pieces of sized and deprived brass. That box is the key. Anytime you pitch a defective case or clear a jam, you currently end up with a brand new primer coming off the press onto the "ski jump" chute. Right?

Well, keep a box of deprimed and sized brass handy, and you can simply stick one of those into station 2 after culling a bad case, push that primer up into it instead of letting it spit out the side of the machine... and keep going without building up a stockpile of primers on the ski jump.

Those are two great ideas, thx Memphis! 

My table is really solid now that I secured the back to the wall and secured the front legs to the floor. Do you think it would make any difference taking it off the press and mounting the CF on the bench directly behind the 650 on steel pipe? Then one could additionally provide lateral support extending a pipe directly back 90 degrees to the wall...

Lastly, It seemed my 650 ran smoother after I bolted it down. Or was I hallucinating (again) ?

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'd put the casefeeder on the wa using an L-bracket for shelving before I mounted it to he bench. The wall flexes less!

Not sure how I would deliver the cases to the press from there, I'd have to think about that..? Perhaps hang down from the ceiling?

My press runs smoother with the bench lagged into the wall, for certain.

Ok so before I dissected, bisected, resected, and transplanted my CF I had an alternative idea. I observed the motion of the CF when reloading was predominately front to back (6-12 o'clock) and decided to stabilized that motion first. I found a 1" dowel left over from another project and painted it the same color (black) as the support post the CF is mounted on. I attached it to the support post and secured it to the wall which is 16" directly behind the CF. SUCCESS - solid as a rock!

You're welcome!