Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HP38 load for 135gn coated lead

mikeinctown

I'm looking for a suitable minor load for 135gn Blue Bullets using HP38. Based on my searches, I should be looking at around 3.8 if I'm loading a little longer, or obviously less if I'm loading shorter. These will mostly be getting shot out of a CZ SP-01 or a well worn SP-01 shadow target.

The powders I have available on my shelf right now are Unique, Bullseye, BE86, and HP38. I'd rather not go buy yet another powder if I don't have to, but pretty much everything except Clays is in stock locally right now.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to advise as as to the details of your request due to being fairly new to reloading. However what I have learned from this community is begin with a charge on the light side, ladder your loads up and chrono them as you go. I resisted for a long time and pretty much just making an educated guess not wanting to spend the $100 for a chrono! I have now learned after buying and using one how much time and frustration I could have saved myself by doing so...

Cheers from IGG!

Mike, I just went thru this exercise w/ an SP-01.  My barrel my be slower down here in Cincy vs. Cleveland (lol), but it required 4.0g of HP38 to get good groupings. I've since switched to 3.8g to VV N320 (just a tad hotter) because I feel it meters more accurately.  Like IDescribe indicated, target a higher PF, CZ's like faster rounds to be accurate.  My most accurate load has a 137PF at 1.13 OAL behind 135g SNS bullets.

17 hours ago, Brucenterry said:

Mike, I just went thru this exercise w/ an SP-01.  My barrel my be slower down here in Cincy vs. Cleveland (lol), but it required 4.0g of HP38 to get good groupings. I've since switched to 3.8g to VV N320 (just a tad hotter) because I feel it meters more accurately.  Like IDescribe indicated, target a higher PF, CZ's like faster rounds to be accurate.  My most accurate load has a 137PF at 1.13 OAL behind 135g SNS bullets.

Thanks for the heads up. I think my local place may have N320 on the shelf. I know they got tons of titegroup, but every reloading manual I've read pretty much showed the HP38 being a universally liked powder for 380 and 9mm.

In the Shadow, I have an 11 pound return spring. Did you notice that you had to go with a stiffer spring or were you able to keep a lower weight spring in there? (if you use a different than stock spring?) I don't have spares at the moment and would probably need to order a few spares for testing.

I'm running the 11# spring as well.  I've installed all Cajun production legal parts including that spring.  Nothing wrong w/ HP38 (W231 same powder), I only started w/ it because I'm new to reloading and folks recommended it as a good universal powder and it would be hard to double charge based on volume required.  I only switched because I heard such good things about N320 and ran across it locally (no hazmat fee) so I gave it a try.  I do like how N320 meters on my Dillon 550 sq. deal! 

Once you work up some loads, test for velocity vs. accuracy.  I think you'll find that IDescribe was right on the money.  You'll probably get the best accuracy ~137ish PF.  You can go lighter, but I don't know that you'll really be able to tell a difference in felt recoil so why not be as accurate as possible.

Good luck!