Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Lo Pro loose

itzjere

I have a Dawson Lo Pro installed on a drilled and tapped STI mag release.  I notice while shooting, the button will spin loose.  Even if I crank it as far down as possible, it will eventually come loose.  I'm hesitant to locktite it because when tearing down the pistol, it may be more difficult..  Any advice on how to keep the button from spinning loose and possibly losing it during a stage/match?

Edited by itzjere

The screw is probably bottoming out in the release before it gets tight enough to lock the button. Try the screw without the button and see if it will go in all the way. If it won't, file a thread length off until it does. If it does go all the way, loctite red but detail clean the gun before you do it. That way in 6 months it will be more likely to pop loose. If it's stubborn, use smooth pliers on the button as you turn the screw with the Allen to break it loose.

doing it by hand it will come loose. wrap the in a cloth to protect it and use a pair of pliers to tighten it.  got to be careful though as too much and it will snap the shaft. you only need a little bit. i have removed and installed mine  many times .  another option would be to get a brazo mag button that has the screw separate .

Ya, if the screw is integral to the button, use pliers and get it tight.  You'll have to bear down pretty damn hard relative to what you've been doing to twist it off.  

When it starts feeling like it's stretching and starts being springy, it's tight enough.  If it's feel springy then goes slightly mushy, you're at or passing the screws elongation and plasticity limits. I.e. You're gonna twist it off very soon so stop.  

Go a little, remember how it felt, if it comes loose go a little further next time, it's not the end of the world if it snaps just a slightly bigger pia

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have tighten it pretty good with my hands and it still comes loose.  The screw is not bottoming out.  I will use a small drop of blue locktite.  I'm confident that will work, but wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong before resorting to that.