Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI trobor

duffdawg

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a new open gun getting sick of my Glock. right now I'm looking at the sti trobor or the match master they're both in my budget. I've read a lot of topics on the two and still can't decide. and I'm not sure if i wanan go with 38 super or 9mm the gun will be used as my 3 gun pistol and uspsa pistol. any advice is very helpful. Thank you.

9mm versus 38 super has been hashed out a million times on this forum and everyone has their opinion.  Mine is, if you want to shoot a lot and get good and don't have an unlimited shooting budget just go 9.  9's also sell faster on the used market.  Neither is magic and they both work.  It matters how much you work at it, not what caliber is stamped on the gun.

I think Trubors are the only STI gun worth gambling on.  It's a solid gun for the price and it's the same STI as all the other STI open guns just without all the lipstick.  5" vs 4.5" vs 4.25" is just more 9 vs 38 futility.  Choose whatever makes you smile.  The key is to hope fortune smiles on you and you get one of the good STIs that runs out of the box without needing extra work, attention, and upgraded parts.

Edited by theWacoKid

2 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

9mm versus 38 super has been hashed out a million times on this forum and everyone has their opinion.  Mine is, if you want to shoot a lot and get good and don't have an unlimited shooting budget just go 9.  9's also sell faster on the used market.  Neither is magic and they both work.  It matters how much you work at it, not what caliber is stamped on the gun.

I think Trubors are the only STI gun worth gambling on.  It's a solid gun for the price and it's the same STI as all the other STI open guns just without all the lipstick.  5" vs 4.5" vs 4.25" is just more 9 vs 38 futility.  Choose whatever makes you smile.  The key is to hope fortune smiles on you and you get one of the good STIs that runs out of the box without needing extra work, attention, and upgraded parts.

what often needs to be tuned. stuff i could learn to do myself or a smith needed. i know mag need tuning sometimes but gun wise.

Extraction and ejection is probably the most common.  Some triggers are not that good.  Lots of people have had slides crack early.  Right now on the forum we've got one guy dealing with case separations possibly from a loose chamber and one dealing with the sear spring slipping off the sear.  Sometimes it's a feeding issue.  The way these things are mass produced now you just never can quite know what it's going to be.  But, hey, it may be nothing and you'll love it.  

Edited by theWacoKid

9 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Extraction and ejection is probably the most common.  Some triggers are not that good.  Lots of people have had slides crack early.  Right now on the forum we've got one guy dealing with case separations possibly from a loose chamber and one dealing with the sear spring slipping off the sear.  Sometimes it's a feeding issue.  The way these things are mass produced now you just never can quite know what it's going to be.  But, hey, it may be nothing and you'll love it.  

is super or 9 easier on parts or about the same?

1 hour ago, duffdawg said:

is super or 9 easier on parts or about the same?

Again I would say the caliber is irrelevant.  More important when it comes to the beating your parts take is the powder you choose and the power factor you run.  As a rule of thumb the faster the powder and the higher the pf the more stressful it is on parts.  Granted, guys in the 9 camp tend to lean towards the faster powders, but not all.

By faster I mean on the fast end of the selection of powders appropriate for 9 major.

Edited by theWacoKid

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

2 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Again I would say the caliber is irrelevant.  More important when it comes to the beating your parts take is the powder you choose and the power factor you run.  As a rule of thumb the faster the powder and the higher the pf the more stressful it is on parts.  Granted, guys in the 9 camp tend to lean towards the faster powders, but not all.

i've noticed in some topcis people we're changing springs in them. and putting buffers not just introbors but 2011's in general. thank's for all you're help so far.

I've had several TruBor's all have been great pistols.

All have run without special tuning etc.

I've gotten my monies worth while shooting them and gotten good money for them when selling.

Either gun will do you proud.  Pick the one you like and shoot the dog out of it and enjoy

Good Fortune

12 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've gotten my monies worth while shooting them and gotten good money for them when selling.

Either gun will do you proud.  Pick the one you like and shoot the dog out of it and enjoy

Good Fortune

have you had them in both 38 super and 9?

45 minutes ago, duffdawg said:

have you had them in both 38 super and 9?

Yes both 9 and 38, all have run without a problem and without putting 90degree mounts on them. Which I really dislike.

I prefer the regular flat mounted C-more or a Leupold Delta Point mounted on the slide.

All of my TB have had C-mores on them.

took them out of the box lubed them and shot them.

Obviously I put magwells and mag buttons and stuff like that but I've had great success with them.

I would buy another without a 2nd thought if my Bedell custom went down for some reason.

I went with a Bedell custom because I shoot with him once in a while and he lives 45-50 miles from me so it was easy.

Last year I sold my TruBor and a Limited gun I had and bought the custom.  It's a great gun but my scores honestly aren't any better than they were with my TruBors.

1 minute ago, jcc7x7 said:

Yes both 9 and 38, all have run without a problem and without putting 90degree mounts on them. Which I really dislike.

I prefer the regular flat mounted C-more or a Leupold Delta Point mounted on the slide.

All of my TB have had C-mores on them.

took them out of the box lubed them and shot them.

Obviously I put magwells and mag buttons and stuff like that but I've had great success with them.

I would buy another without a 2nd thought if my Bedell custom went down for some reason.

I went with a Bedell custom because I shoot with him once in a while and he lives 45-50 miles from me so it was easy.

Last year I sold my TruBor and a Limited gun I had and bought the custom.  It's a great gun but my scores honestly aren't any better than they were with my TruBors.

i have one of the 90's on my glock and i'm with you i hate it blocks my fov imo. i want to put a racker on and a new magwell if i get one.

I've had rackers put on TB's without a problem.  Mag wells are easy buy the one you like and fits your hand.

My hands are big so I've gone to the BAM magwells, but the Dawson work great and the large hand Dawson works fine for me but I like the BAM better.  A friend of mine turned me on to the BAM's and now that's all I use on 2011's

Have the racker milled as far back from the breach as possible without getting into the scallop on the back of the slide. Keep the racker on the left side of the gun if you're right handed.

Edited by jcc7x7

10 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've had rackers put on TB's without a problem.  Mag wells are easy buy the one you like and fits your hand.

My hands are big so I've gone to the BAM magwells, but the Dawson work great and the large hand Dawson works fine for me but I like the BAM better.  A friend of mine turned me on to the BAM's and now that's all I use on 2011's

Have the racker milled as far back from the breach as possible without getting into the scallop on the back of the slide. Keep the racker on the left side of the gun if you're right handed.

how much did the racker cost to get installed if you don't mind. i have rather small hands. and i'm right handed.

Edited by duffdawg

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Good Fortune

I bought one of these thing just runs and while other shooters have semi custom guns choking  mine just runs. 

I couldn't, I have looked at some 9 major but this thing is sweet.  been eye balling a evo grip.  I am just a few percentage points from"a" best gun purchase i have made. open is just to much fun. why the interest in the buy back? 

Edited by Acsr
Auto correct

more of a joke to make a point about how much I've enjoyed TruBor's over the years.

It's closing in on winter and shooting inside so I'm going through my yearly its time to shoot SS or Limited cause open guns are to loud inside thinking.

But that's just me.  Glad your still enjoying the TruBor.

Back to our regularly scheduled "thread"

5 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

more of a joke to make a point about how much I've enjoyed TruBor's over the years.

It's closing in on winter and shooting inside so I'm going through my yearly its time to shoot SS or Limited cause open guns are to loud inside thinking.

But that's just me.  Glad your still enjoying the TruBor.

Back to our regularly scheduled "thread"

i hate this time of year about all i do is clean guns and reload. i do have a place to shot at home so if it gets warm i don't have far to go

Edited by duffdawg