Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imr Consistency

Qstick

I am thinking about trying to develop a load with IMR 7625 for my 38 super open gun. I've heard that IMR powders vary a lot from lot to lot, is that still the case. I'm not sure that I want to start trying something new that isn't consistent ......although if it works out, I could always buy 8 lbs and rechrono in the winter...hmmmmm

Thanks,

Zach

I have just started shooting an open gun last month. I did alot of searching on this forum and decided on the IMR 7625 for my loads. I really like the powders consistancy and accuracy, although I have no other experiences to compare it to. It is the cleanest burning powder I have ever loaded with. After a session with my open gun, you can hardly tell it has been used. Now I just have to decide if I like the 115 grain or 124 grain bullets the best.

Dave

I usually need to tweak a few tenths on opening a new jug of 7625, but at 8 lbs, they take a while. When I could only get 4756 in 8-oz cans, I found that similar lot numbers gave similar performance, FWIW

I have just started using 4725 and I really like the accuracy and it is very consistant it makes major in my gun with 6.8 grns and a 124 bullet. I load a little hotter because its to close for a big match. I am sold and will continue to use it.

I worked up a few loads tonight and hope to chrono them this weekend - thanks for the help.

Shred - is that an 8 lb. jug???  Where are you getting that?

Zach

4725? What's that? 50-50 mix of 7625 & 4756?

IMR switched to 8 lb jugs a little while ago. I've gotten them from Powder Valley and IIRC, Action Shooting Supplies.