Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inconsistent bullet seating

LJW

Hello again,

I am thankful for the .38 super Lee die input and have found that it works well. Some of the range brass that I have been resizing seems to be too large an id for the bullets I am using (montana gold 124gr JHP). The bullets can be easily hand pushed into the case. I have been checking each case before primer stage. This takes extra time but worth not wasting primers on cases I throw away.

I have a new question. I am using a Redding seating die (with the micrometer) and am getting an OAL ranging between 1.240 and 1.220. My goal is 1.220 OAL. Is this common and acceptable differences? If not how to I improve these numbers???

Thanks for any input, LJW

Get the undersize die.  I had the same problem years ago with 45ACP, had to sort the brass.  I went to the EGW-U die, never had a problem again, with any brass.

Not what you are currently asking, but it may help in the long run.

+1 on the EGW.

The EGW die is manufactured by Lee but with a slight mod to the opening.  Very slight but it will size as far down as possible. 

Is it possible the brass has been used so much its exhibiting symptoms of work hardening?