Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No RIA 1911 in 40 S&W to be found

mikeAZ

As little as I shoot single stack, I'm thinking I should buy one in 40 S&W  I can find the double stack models but no single stack....Don't want a 9mm or 45ACP and  there are  bunch of RIA'S in those calibre's  for sale everywhere. .  Granted they are not STI/SV/CK quality but that's o k with me. Problem is, I can't find one for sale anywhere on the "net". The higher end ones look to have all the goodies. A Para would work BUT same thing... none in single stack..... IS there a problem with the 40 S&W and the RIA pistols? or maybe there is not much demand for 40 S&W.

Just looking for a 1911 style in 40S&W ... will see little use, so the RIA seems to be the most bang for the buck... BUT they are no where to be found?????... Any leads appreciated. I'm going to see if I can special order one.....

38 minutes ago, mike NM said:

Just looking for a 1911 style in 40S&W ... will see little use, so the RIA seems to be the most bang for the buck... BUT they are no where to be found?????... Any leads appreciated. I'm going to see if I can special order one.....

Just keep looking 2 weeks ago I found several online on buds and gallery of guns they are sold out now. 

I decided on the RIA version of the 1911 as they are decent quality for the money. Well, I don't think there are any  5" RIA  1911 40S&W in the USA at this time, Some 4.20" ones and 5" 10mm, yes. I called, hunted... NO luck,  so I punted and ordered the 5" "bushing" 9mm model from Bud's. A 40 S&W barrel should be a drop-in as the extractor and breech face are normally the same. (I'd usually upgrade the stock barrel anyhow). We shall see how this all plays out.... RIA's info sheet says these are "70" series style... I'm thinking that means non ramped barrel but not a deal breaker....I was just going to build a 1911 in 40 S&W but I was WAY passed $1000.00 for quality parts that weren't really necessary for my intended use. Thru the years, I've  gathered 9mm and 40 S&W mags,, lot's of 1911 parts and should only need the barrel??????.... (You know how that goes). A 9mm 1911 isn't such a bad idea anyhow....

dogtired, As far as I know, #51719  not a bushing gun.. USPSA has to be a bushing gun for S S as far as I understand. I'll call the dealer to make sure.Thanks, anyhow (email sent to answer barrel question).

Edited by mike NM
added info

Everyone posting in here is correct about:

1. USPSA requires a bushing barrel for 5" guns, and
  2. that the RIA 40 guns only come in bull barrel.

The 9s and 45s are bushing, but the 10 and 40 are bushingless.  By the time you go buy a KKM, a bushing, and have the smith fit it, doesn't it make more sense to just buy a slightly more expensive gun set up that way? 

On 11/6/2016 at 6:09 PM, peterthefish said:

This is dumb.

Not necessarily. Would you prefer me saying it is different than droppin a 40 barrel in a 45? Many builders just don't execute this well. Then you have owners handloading ammo all over the length spectrum. 

I am definitely not saying nobody can do it or that it should't be done but what I have witnessed tells me it is not for everyone.

Not necessarily. Would you prefer me saying it is different than droppin a 40 barrel in a 45? Many builders just don't execute this well. Then you have owners handloading ammo all over the length spectrum. 

I am definitely not saying nobody can do it or that it should't be done but what I have witnessed tells me it is not for everyone.

OP is looking for a specific gun (.40 1911 from RIA) which is in short supply. Most manufacturers these days have .40 1911s down - there's no special magic required. If a manufacturer's .40 1911 won't run, their .45 probably won't either. Yes, reloading and loading long might help, and that's not for everyone. But there's no magic to it.