Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramshot Competition powder

Steve RA

Any new loading information or users for Ramshot Competition powder in 9mm or .45ACP.  I've been using Clays for years but this powder seems as though it might do as well and IS AVAILABLE which can't often be said for Clays.

I don't like it in 9mm through a Dillon measure on my 650.

The velocity variations are just too high - it's inconsistent in a way Clays, WST, Solo1000, and Titegroup never were for me.

It's getting used up in bulk-loaded practice ammo - it's soft and clean enough I don't mind using it there. I won't be getting any more of it though because I  want an SD that isn't in the 20s for my match ammo.

See my two posts toward the end here:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/239261-ramshot-competition-loads/#comment-2666425

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I agree with Memphis. I just got a 8lber to give it a try and although not too bad it just has too many things not great about it to make me pick something else. It's a little inconsistent, it's smokey, and at the same PF as titegroup I like the titegroup recoil impulse much better. 

I'm (sadly) in agreement with the above comments. My SD has been huge, and I'm going to order some VN320 and use the Comp for practice ammo. I really, really *want* to like it -- it's available, meters well, costs less than VN and shoots clean -- but I get tired of wondering what PF I'm shooting.

It's working good for me out of a KKM G34.  Small flakes, meter great, very consistent, low SD, lower smoke.  Very accurate.  Using coated 147 RN with 3.08 g over 10 throws. 

Edited by nwhpfan