Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint pro glare question

Shmella

I have a question to the other deltapoint pro owners out there. The dot is very bright, especially indooors. When looking through the sight I see a lot of glare around the dot like a halo or splash. I looked at the sight closely and noticed that there is a lens in front of where the dots diode is (my attempt at describing where the dot comes from) and it looked smudged/dirty like when it was assembled there were fingerprints left on the small lens. I cleaned the small lens with a q tip and it seemed to help the splash glare effect. Anyone else notice this glare around the dot? Maybe it's not noticeable outside in sunlight but I can see the outline of the small lens when looking through the sight. I can see the dot and then the shape of the lens around the dot. I managed to take a picture of what I'm talking about and you can kind of see what I'm describing, I was wondering is this normal? 

Here we go this picture shows what I'm talking about. The "box" around the dot is the outline of the lens I am talking about. The brighter the dot the more noticeable the outline is. Seems like if the lens wasn't there at all the "problem" wouldn't exist. Anyone else notice this? I don't have the gun this sight is going on yet so all I have is a sight to examine at the moment. Probably just overthinking things  ....

IMG_3908.PNG

Edited by Shmella

• 1 month later...

Wipe off the lens to the diode where the dot originates from with a q tip. I used a q tip and spun it between my fingers to wipe of the little lens  that covers the diode and it made a huge difference 

Edited by Shmella

I still haven't used it out in the sunlight (gun still being built) so I don't know if it would have ever mattered out in the bright sun.  but I don't forsee it being an issue as wiping it with the q tip seemed to make it not nearly as noticeable than how it looked in the the pictures I posted. 

Turn the the brightness down in dim light and up in sunlight. This ain't rocket science. You can dim it in sunlight to the point it even visible. In indoor dim light you can turn it close to the lowest brightness and get a perfect dot.  

Getting a perfect dot wasn't what I was originally pointing out. The dot looked fine but around the dot there was a box like outline which is the outline of the small plastic lens that covers the diode. It was dirty (looked like a fingerprint was on it) I wiped it clean and the outline went away.The lens is probably there to make it waterproof. A cmore (at least the old style) doesn't have that secondary lens. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 6:31 PM, Shmella said:

Getting a perfect dot wasn't what I was originally pointing out. The dot looked fine but around the dot there was a box like outline which is the outline of the small plastic lens that covers the diode. It was dirty (looked like a fingerprint was on it) I wiped it clean and the outline went away.The lens is probably there to make it waterproof. A cmore (at least the old style) doesn't have that secondary lens. 

I wanted to edit but cant, a cmore does have the "lens" I was referring to but it isnt glass or plastic like the DPP is. Cmores lens seems to be a shaded transparent filter of some sort instead of a clear plastic or glass lens.

• 2 years later...

Best solution I've found is to get an "electronics cleaning pen".  Mine was made by OXO.   makes these and probably other   These have a slide out brush at one end and a rubber squeegeish thing at the other.  NOTE, you do not want a "Lens Pen" such as the one Leupold sells.  It has a round tip which is pretty much useless for the small lens.

Wet the squeegee tip with a little Windex or similar and use it to clean the little lens.  Probably still won't be perfect, but a drastic improvement.   

To those that commented that this "splash glare" effect will go away outside in the sun, it won't.  It will be less noticeable, but It will be worse on cloudy/rainy days, and downright horrible if there is any moisture on the big lens.