Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 6" Blank/Unique slide with *radically* oversized EJ port??

alberic6

Hi guys,

I'm asking this here because I figure you're the ones most likely to have seen this, if it's a problem.

I've got an STI frame that I'm (slowly) fitting with an STI Unique slide.  6", .45 ACP.  (This is one of their 'blank' slides.  No machining other than basic production.)

Got around to fitting the barrel last weekend, and discovered that the ejection port is...weird.

With the barrel hood cut back to fit up against the breech face, and the recoil lugs just dropping into the grooves, there's a .050" gap between the rear starboard face of the barrel and the forward (stb'd) face of the cheek of the ejection port.  (the wall that's just outboard of the extractor.)  The spec. for the forward extension of that wall from the breech face is .159" (-.003).

This one measures out at .110".  So it's about .050" too short, at least by the gov't blueprints.

If you put a round in the barrel, and fake it all into battery, you're looking through the ejection port at the extractor groove of the round.  A bit worrysome.

I talked to Fred Kart last week.  He said (and I agree) that it isn't a safety issue, the chamber is flared away that deep in that area anyway, so no risk of blowout. 

But it does concern me somewhat, both from a ?wtf? standpoint, as well as a 'keep crap out of action' standpoint.

I've called STI several times, but haven't gotten through to anybody who knew anything about those slides.  (half the tech team were away at a match last week, apparently.   Tried again this afternoon.  No luck.)

I mentioned it to my range buddy (who shoots Bianchi) and he reminded me that the 6" blank slides are pretty much intended to be for competition guns.   His take was that it was probably deliberate, to give more rear clearance to allow for shock-buffs or other similar things that eat up recoil stroke.  I've seen people oversize the *front* wall of the ejection port, to make it easier to clear loaded rounds, but I've never seen anybody knock off the *back* wall before.

I don't really want to just return the thing for another if I can help it.  I've already got a fair number of machine hours in it, and I'd hate to do it all again.  (Nevermind the parts that have been machined to match it now.)

is this a known thing with STI 6" slides?  Anybody seen this before? 

Thanks for any enlightenment you can share.

Regards,

Brian

PS-->Image attached, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Barrel Gap.jpg

The barrel's in spec.  I checked it against a couple of my other 1911 (45) barrels, and double checked it with Fred when we were on the phone.

Also double-checked the ejector port dimensions on my other 1911's.  It's the slide.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

We can officially call it a feature, not a glitch.

I've got another STI slide that *doesn't* have that gap, but it's a 5" .40 classic.  So I wasn't sure what the deal was. 

Thanks for helping me double check.

-Brian