Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best do-all non-competition set up

steviesterno

hey all, 

I've been building ARs for years now, but my focus has been mostly 3 gun. That for me has lead to some heavy 18" barreled, comped, heavy stocked rifles. I'm thinking I may want to build something lighter and shorter for all non-competition (not hunting either) uses. What is everyone using for this kind of build? I have an SBR lower I can utilize, but it has an NEA PDW stock and it's a bit on the heavy side. 

I have an Aimpoint Comp M2 but may end up going iron sights for this one. 

And if I get a 14.5" barrel do I have to pin and weld it or can I just use a high temp solder? 

I think the 14.5" barrel has to be pinned and welded unless you put it on your SBR lower.  I think the lightest stocks going these days are those polymer minimalist stocks.  Can't recall the name of them right now.....JP put one on Teel's lightweight 3gun rifle......for that matter, I would probably copy his.  14.5" pencil barrel.   It's really light and good out to 600.

It is legal to silver solder a comp on a 14.5 barrel, you won't be able to take the comp off with a wrench. Pining and welding is cleaner, just two tiny TIG welds on the pin. Silver soldering heats the whole end of the barrel up to a red.

A real light weight stock is the ACE Skeleton stock which weighs about 10.9oz or the ACE Ultralite which weighs about 6.8oz. I use the Skeleton and really like it, the foam is nice against the cheek and its a very solid design.

My lightweight do-all upper is a 16" lightweight Wylde 1/8 5r midlength, standard upper receiver, lightweight free-float handguard, locking adjustable gas block, w/irons and 1-4x illuminated scope.  That's good for a great deal of ranges, incredibly accurate.  Pick scope and mount with an eye to weight.    

My lightweight do-all lower is a standard or Tennessee Arms hybrid lower, A5 buffer system with lightest buffer, B5 Bravo stock, grip of choice.  The A5 reduces felt recoil and increases durability and accuracy, the stock is very light but has an excellent cheekweld.

My lightweight build changes alot of things, but they are all sacrifices of durability, use, or high cost for reduced weight.  Things like the ACE ULW stock, no-FA upper, lightweight BCG, hollow buffer, all-polymer lower, etc.     

Edited by mostholycerebus