Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot low and right.

peterthefish

Race gun problems. Whenever I load the gun from an empty chamber the first shot hits low and right. About 3-4" off POI at 50'. It seems to be worse with some bullets than others. Below is a target showing the problem with PD 124s at about 1.155". When I shot another 5 rounds after taking that pic, the first shot was again low and right, touching the low right hole you can see.

740c19ace95aa2f7f7f46a2d290184a4.jpg

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I mean it seems apparent that the slide isn't going into battery when being loaded the same way it does when it's cycling from firing, but I'm lost for a more specific explanation.

given you have a 4 shot group there of about 1 inch at 50 (nice shooting btw) and a 5th (or really 1st) shot that is 4 inches from the group that strongly points to a mechanical issue not a shooter issue. it also shows that when locked up properly the gun shoots very accurately.

you could try a few tests to confirm the hypothesis. just load one round by hand. shoot and repeat for 5 rounds. presumably you'll get a nice group but 3-4inch off your POA.

Then load up 6 rounds. put one round into a second target, or the berm then fire the 5 shot group. again, presumably this time you'll get a group of similar size but right on POA.

I am far from being an expert but I've certainly heard of this problem with 1911/2011's. for some reason the gun cycling achieves a different lockup than you get hand cycling the gun.

the general consensus seemed to be that there is something in the fit of the barrel that means it's not going into a consistent lockup when hand cycled but the extra force of a fired round drives it to the right spot. that's also somewhat counter intuitive as it's the recoil spring driving it into battery and I'd presume holding the slide to the rear and letting go would provide a very close amount of force as it gets from cycling but apparently not close enough.

are you able to measure any play anywhere when you hand cycle a dummy round into the chamber then examine the lockup at front and rear of the barrel?

The other possibility is that it' a cold barrel issue. the test above (hand load 5 individual rounds and fire them in succession) should remove this possibility. 

it's certainly a noodle scratcher.