Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Shot Return to POA

ES13Raven

6 hours ago, waktasz said:

Ben talks about this exact topic in the latest Practical Pistol Show podcast

He answers this EXACTLY in detail at 12:35

(Rewind a few minutes if you want the question the viewer asked)

I've done this drill in one of his classes and it is an immense help.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, uewpew said:

Why ask for advice on how to improve if you're not going evaluate it and try it?

if you want to "lock your tendons" and use your muscle to control recoil, then strengthen your muscles and grip the gun harder.

I never said I wasn't going to. I was just clarifying what Seeklander said, and that there is more than one way.

Years ago I'm standing next to Manny Bragg in a class of his and we are both shooting at 25 yards. 

It suprised me that at that distance our splits were the same. I asked him about it and he replied something to the effect that at the farther distances, 15 yards and out, most shooters have the same splits for guaranteed A's. 

Fast splits in close are fun and rewarding, fast splits much past 12 yards or so are a fools errand.  IMHO YMMV  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2016 at 6:36 PM, Chuckie45 said:

Seem that being able to track the sights through the recoil cycle it key here. A lot of people  have used the berm drill to do that for the first time. 

That will teach you to see your sights in motion, which is also a huge help.

But to get the front sight to return exactly to the center of the notch? That's a function of grip pressures being balanced and learning to drive the gun back down out of recoil to the exact same spot every time.

Ideally the front sight will travel only in a 100% vertical plane without any sideways motion, and return right back where it came from. That's the goal of the drills in this thread - to learn proper recoil control and how to drive the gun.