Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Lead out of Sigs

BASE772

Let me start out by saying I've shot well over 100,000 coated bullets the last several years in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.  I love them, but out of my 226's and 320 9mm I get leading more so than other manufacturers barrels. Not crazy bad but the old "Jarhead" in me can't stand my gun barrels not  being spotless  hours after my trip to the range. So kind of a pain in the ass. Didn't have this in .40. Some in .45 when I used Bullseye but went away when I switch to Ramshot Competiton. 

Powder doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Although it's slightly worse with Titegroup.  WST is better but still there. Starting using Prima V and still got some. (On a side note Prima V is a great 9mm minor powder)

I've got plenty of bell on the case and use a light crimp. I've pulled several bullets and sometimes can't even see a crimp line in the bullets. (147 Flat Points)

My thought is it's just Sig barrels. Very accurate but grabs a little lead. 

Anyone else experience this?

Don't know the barrel slug.  .356 dia. Bullets. 

Whats the best thing to use or does someone make a 9mm kit? 

Ive thought about just ordering some .357 bullets to try. 

Edited by BASE772

just a oversized soft lead ball or any soft lead around .360 size should work, without know your barrel size its impossible to point you in the right direction but it's not uncommon for some guns to be .357 or .358 so a .356 bullet wouldn't work. Say your barrel comes back as .356 that means at a minimum you should be running a .3565 bullet but .357 would be better as .001 is the standard but there is nothing wrong with going bigger as long as it doesn't cause issues chambering. 

I'm shooting 147 grain Bayou bullets in my 226. I'm using Bullseye, and I get no leading.
95d41ef0a526b85fec17a383946c731c.jpg

It's been about a thousand rounds since I've run a patch thru the barrel. I've experienced leading in other handguns, but never with coated bullets.

The Bayous do leave behind a little bit of the coating in the barrel that doesn't really seem to build up much. Traditional bore solvents don't really seem to do much to it, but the stinky shotgun solvents knock it right out. That makes sense to me because those are formulated to remove plastic fouling from the barrel I like the Brownells brand.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-solvents/shotgun-wad-solvent-prod1166.aspx

When I was using Precision moly-coated, they deposited a lot of lead with Titegroup.  I switched to Universal Clays and that reduced it to almost nothing.

I've been using Ibejiheads lately, and they run fine with Titegroup without leading.

I did slug the barrel of my X5 Allround, and it came out at 0.3565, so I've been using 0.357's.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

When I was using Precision moly-coated, they deposited a lot of lead with Titegroup.  I switched to Universal Clays and that reduced it to almost nothing.

I've been using Ibejiheads lately, and they run fine with Titegroup without leading.

I did slug the barrel of my X5 Allround, and it came out at 0.3565, so I've been using 0.357's.

I hear Precision has a Gen 2 coating now. My favorite Limited .40 load was the Precision 185's under 4.8 gr WST. 

Good info on the Sig. SNS is sending me some 147 Flat Points sized at .357.

You think I should drop my powder charge by .3-.4 grain from the .356 bullets to start? Using Prima V now. Similar to Titegroup as far as powder charge.

Thanks

Edited by BASE772
Add

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2016 at 7:30 PM, BASE772 said:

Received my .357 sized 147 flat points from SNS today. Will post my findings after I get some loaded up. 

The .357 diameter bullets were a huge improvement over the .356. I was amazed. Had a couple little lead specks on a clean patch but nothing in the grooves. ?

My 226 barrel slugged at .356.