Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Rifle & Shotgun!

This is what happens to me for buying stuff without knowing what I'm buying!! :angry:

Ok, finally have my first rifle and shotgun. Ready for 3-gun? Hardly... Although I'm not planning on turning into a hardcore 3-gunner, I want to shoot the locals and have something to do on those rare 5th Satudays.

The rifle is a Frankenstein put together with a Cavalry lower I received as a gift (free is good!) and a DPMS upper, the fixed carry handle & 16" barrel (the 16" would be counting the Miculek comp) version, I think it's what they call an AP4. Sorry I'm not too up to date with the names and general terminology. Do I have a rifle that's too short and out of which generic ammo won't make PF? Only the chrono will tell...

Now the shotgun. Got a very good deal on a Remy 1100 in very good shape ($300). When I saw it looked kinda' shorty but I thought it'll do, the seller told me the barrel was 24" but it's really only 21. No problem, I'd like to think... Because the wooden stock is the straight type I bought the synthetic Remy furniture. So what happens? This shotgun is the SPECIAL FIELD version and the forend is shorter than the normal 1100, thus half (forend) of my brand-spankin'-new furniture won't work. To make this worst, when I added the Choate mag extension, it takes one shell less than my friend's 1100.

I know this shouldn't be a major problem, I'm just po'ed because I got this stuff without consulting anybody and now I'm not 100 satisfied. NO, I'm not mad to the point of donating the stuff to any of you... I guess what I'm looking for is input from the people that really know this game and gear.

Would the 7+1 capacity of the shotgun be like shooting limited with a P-14? What's the capacity of a Competition Master? Does anybody know of a shorter black synthetic forend that would fit the Special Field 1100? Do you have one for sale or trade?

I'll go bang my head on the wall now...

Later

Nelson,

In the 1100, most people who shoot Limited/Tactical have 8 round mag tubes (=9 total in the gun). I don't think there is anything in the rules that say you can't have a 9 or 10 rd tube, but you can't load more than 9 in the gun per USPSA rules. Make sure that your follower doesn't have a round limiting plug attached to it. I wouldn't get too hung up on an 8 rd shotgun for now. You might have to reload a few more times than those of us with 9 rd guns, but the practice will be worth it.

AR - just go chrono some shelf 55 gr ball ammo (Win. White Box, UMC/Remington, PMC, Federal AE) and see what you get. You might even try mil-spec Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A b/c it is supposedly hotter than SAMMI spec ammo. If you're close, you might also look to a heavier bullet, 62+ grs. If all else fails, sell that upper and turn that ca$h into a 18 or 20" upper.

Dave

PS - prepare to get hooked on 3-gun ;)

nemo,

you're off to a good start. most 16" barrels will meet the current pf. $300 buck for a 1100 is a steal these days. a little mod here and there and people will start calling you PATRICK, OR KURTM, or that SOB with all the cool stuff. :D

good luck,

lynn

Thanx guys! It was mostly the Special Field features that threw me off! If BigDave prediction of getting addicted to 3-gun comes true, then I'll look to get the gear up to par. Just hate to think that I'm starting behind.

DWiz, sorry about the P14 thought... ;)

Gotta hit the road. See you in Covington!

DWiz, sorry about the P14 thought... ;)

You're cool, you just beat me to the punch! :ph34r:

You're going to get so hooked to 3-Gun, its not going to be funny. You're going to be, "damn, what I have been doing all this time?"

If you can't find any factory 55gr .223 that will make Minor out of your 16" bbl, there are a few companies that make .223 ammo with heavier bullets, like Black Hills and Ultramax, that should be enought to make Minor.

If your carbine barrel is 16" with the comp, it is likely a 14.5". You can still make minor, but not with a lot of the 55 gr ammo on the market. XM193 and Q3131A should be fine but many others will be slow. Should be no problem with 60 gr and up though. If you go to longer bullets, make sure your barrel twist is fast enough for them. (If they are going through paper targets sideways you can bet the twist is too slow).

Most important, have a blast!

I started with a $200 M1100 (21" modified choke deer barrel), added a choate mag tube, a ghost ring rear sight and Williams Fire front sight, DMW feed ramp and 3" shell lifter, and tuned up the feed path, and I have a smoking M1100 Limited gun. My speed is held only by how fast I can transition between targets and handle shells. Your shotgun is a fine place to build the same shotgun. In the mean time, the shorter mag capacity only means that you will have to stuff two more shells per stage untill you can get a long enough mag on the gun. Learn the game in the meanwhile. Loading fast is what this game is about - get dummies and practice loading while walking. One per second is a good rate to work towards initially.

If you have reliablity problems clean the whole gun and replace the O ring. Autoloading shotguns like to be clean. Come back to us for help...

A 14.5" or 16" AR with a Miculek brake on an AR is likewise fine. If 55 grain ammo fails to make Minor by a safe margin (and that is likely) just use heavier bullets. The only fly in the ointment is you will need a fast twist to make 62 grain GI bullets and any of the other (68's, 69's, etc) heavier bullets fly well - 12" and 14" twists will not stabilize them. That is not likely a problem because 12" and 14" twist AR barrels have not been made in any volume for a bunch of years. If you do have a slow twist barrel, perhaps you can handload 60's and make Minor. Anyway, Zero your rifle to shoot point of aim equals point of impact at 50 yards and you are good to go to 200 meters on plates and IPSC paper.

One other point - IFF your shorty tends to choke getting spent cases out of the gun AND has fired over 200 rounds since new, in order, clean the whole bolt and carrier, replace the gas rings, polish the chamber, replace the gas tube. Notice that there is nothing in that list about drilling the gas port... You will do fine, but start lusting for a low power glass sight and longer barrel so that light bullets will make power AND make the brake work better for faster close stuff.

Prepare for three gun addiction...

Billski

I can solve your Remington forend length problem. I had the same thing as I bought an 11-87 Sporting clays which has the same, shorter mag tube and forend as your gun. I cut the forend short by about 1 inch, and made a washer out of 5mm thick aluminium that was laying around. So don't buy another forend, cut the one you have. My gun also has the light contour barrel, so with the now lighter forend, lighter mag tube, lighter barrel and the same extension tube that I used on my previous gun I have saved 10 ounces in the gun weight. Barrel length remains the same at 26". Get the saw out......

Geoff

Thanx again guys! I found a guy that was lusting for a 1100SF and traded mine for a newer synth 1100. So I'll be building on that one. Feel much better now, thank you... :P

All these ammo names and twist rates are pure chinese to me. Promise I'll start learning the lingo and my gear. I think I'm set for now and my equipment will do for locals. As the 3-gun hooking gets worst I'll revisit the gear issue and start making changes if any. BTW my AR's trigger is HORRIBLE!!!

Hasta pronto!

JP (pictured above) and McCormick both make very nice drop-in triggers for the AR.

As for barrel twist rates, 1x9 is the most common and will handle bullet weights from 55 grain up to at least 69 grain. IIRC, most, if not all, DPMS barreled uppers (like yours) are 1x9 twist.

Good move on the 1100 trade.

Get some cheap Wolff .223 and burn out the bbl learning to shoot. Non-USPSA 3 gun doesn't care if you make PF. Just shoot the DPMS upper like it is until the barrel is worn out then replace it with an 18, or 20 incher so you get some real muzzle brake action going with std 55gr like Billski mentioned. Get the JP drop-in trigger, drop it in the cav lower and don't look back.

Welcome to 3 gun. Your ife has been changed, you just need to realize it ;-)

--

Regards,

Edited by George