Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport hammer spring

SergioSF

Hi all,

Does anyone know what weight is the stock hammer spring on a 9mm TS?

Is there any benefit to going with a lighter one?  I'm thinking there's less force for the slide to overcome as it goes back, which sounds like a good thing. 

The factory hammer spring is somewhere in the 17-18 pound range.  Is lighter better?  Boy that is the question isn't it?

There are a lot of factors which effect the way a pistol feels in recoil: hammer spring weight, recoil spring weight, slide weight, frame weight, bullet weight, powder burn rate, firing pin stop radius, stroke length, the frictional coefficients of all the moving parts, and whatever else I'm not thinking of :eatdrink:

When it comes to muzzle rise, there is the initial lift when the bullet leaves the barrel, then the impact of the slide hitting the frame; the more resistance to the slide coming back, the more of the lift will happen in the first part, less resistance, more slide velocity.

A square firing pin stop gives the slide the least leverage to cock the hammer, holding the slide closed longer while energy dissipates, conversely a firing pin stop rounded off like this one pushes on the hammer further from the fulcrum, giving the slide more leverage to compress the hammer spring.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa457/jjdurso/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20160227_065922_zps0r2rxpf6.jpg

Personally I feel like a rounded firing pin stop combined with a heavier hammer spring can slow down the slide a little over a lighter hammer spring with a more square block.

Long story short, I say leave the stock spring and smooth the radius of your firing pin stop.

51 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Long story short, I say leave the stock spring and smooth the radius of your firing pin stop.

Oh hey!

First of all, I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU for your CZ smithing tutorial. It helped me have the confidence to tackle cajunizing my SP-01 myself.  Wasn't so scary after all, thanks to you. 

Also, due to your tips, since I rounded off my SP-01's slide edge/hammer face, I went ahead and did the pin stop on my TS.  Racking the slide feels less like overcoming a ridge now. So thanks for that improvement.

But since I have this extra 13lb hammer spring leftover from my SP-01, I'm just wondering if that'll help even further or just a recipe for light strikes and a mushy trigger break.

Edited by SergioSF
typo

I didn't like the break on my TS with a 13# hammer spring, like you said: mush.  If you do a good job polishing the SA trigger doesn't get much lighter with a light hammer spring and you just invite light strike issues.  I have a whole box of factory hammer springs taken from DA/SA guns which I use in my SA guns; best I can tell they're in the 17-18# range.