Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H&G #68 SWC seating depth?

AbitNutz

On 9/16/2016 at 6:18 PM, zzt said:

I don't think the guy who custom made them is selling on Ebay any more.  However, this one should work if you use a Dillon press.  http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1561

Thank you, I knew I had seem this somewhere but had forgotten where.  I need to order one fast :).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 8:22 AM, AbitNutz said:

Ok, I do it, it works but its always been a bit of a mystery to me. It seems the SOP for loading the H&G #68 SWC profile bullet is to seat the should above the rim of the case just a bit. How much is dependent upon what works in your barrel. I seat it out till the gun starts malfunctioning and then back off till it stops. 

I'm a little lost on how this came to be on a cartridge that is supposed to headspace on the case mouth. Of course, it really doesn't. The extractor just hold it to the breech face. Anyone know/have info on this procedure? Best method? Anything? The load I use is stupid accurate and feeds reliably so I'm not sure I see a reason to change to a more modern bullet design. 

Back to the original question, the case does head space on the case mouth.  If the leade of the barrel is cut too short the shoulder of a swc bullet can wedge into it, I've even had it pull the bullet on ejecting a live round, 1.250 is the optimum for a h&g68 it leaves a bit of the shoulder above the case.  If the bullet is wedging into the barrel, you need to cut the leade deeper.  Also note that leade can wedge RN bullets if seated long enough.

Going too much longer in OAL can lead to not working in a magazine, 1.250 to 1.280 depending on bullet fits a 1911 magazine and feeds the most reliably.  The H&G68 was designed to have minimum lead above the case, some is needed to crimp to, that would fit the leade of factory barrels and the nose gave the optimum OAL for feeding.

COL is ALWAYS dependent on the bullet used and the gun used--there is NO COL that is perfect for all guns with any bullet.

For the H&G #68, COL is usually measured from shoulder to case head and 0.930" is usually my target COL (unless I have a chamber that has a very short or long throat).

Just remember, any change in bullet geometry will shift the part of the bullet that first contacts the lede/rifling. For a SWC, ONLY the shoulder makes that contact, so a shoulder-to-case head measurement is the same for ALL SWC bullets in a given chamber.