Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight for factory loadings

ryridesmotox

I don't reload yet, so I'm stuck with factory loadings. I'm just wondering what you guys are using That gets the best accuracy potential out of a standard stock2 barrel. I know all guns are different etc etc, but here on the western side of communism it's hard to find ammo. I'm going to order some Atlantic Arms ammo and I want to be in the ballpark. I shot some 115 gr Atlantic today and it was great. 

My grouping was on the center target. I had someone out with me who is just barely getting into guns... Ignore the dispersion from the other "groups"... Don't worry I got him shooting 5 ring by the end of the day.

At 7 yards off hand, do you guys think that going to a heavy pill would be beneficial? Or will the smaller faster round be better at knocking down plates in a USPSA match?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20160905_132005016.jpg

Also, I was having some intermittent issues extracting Winchester 115 grain white box. Ice shot probably 400 rounds of it, and it's had probably 5 or 6 failures to eject. Every time, I clear it, then the case just falls out after. So it's not stuck. Just kind of a be advised thing. 

I have a few pics of the deformed case head. Too big to attach so I'll edit the Photoshop link in when it's done uploading there.

Edited by ryridesmotox

1472667140793_zpsacmitili.jpgMy personal opinion....

Stay away from Atlanta Arms.  with their 40sw I get 3-4 per 50 that are too long to load. A friend also recently has had 3 kabooms with their 9mm from one batch delivery. They blamed the brass and washed their hands !  he used to only use them, but now buys a different brand.  He is an odd duck, being a GM but not a reloader.  Could be isolated issues, but I spoke to others that used to use them than no longer do and they also switched for quality reasons. 

Your money, your choice. And "your mileage may vary", but I won't use their ammo off the practice range and I expect failures. Just my OPINION. I reload now and have no dog in the fight.

Edited by johnbu

The above is from the last box. The left round is what 90% are and work. The others have bullets sticking out too far to load. The 2nd from left is only slightly too long but too fat to chamber.  4/50 FAILURE is what I got on that box, others were "better" at "only" 2-3 FAILURES.  I had been saving it for a try at limited major....but it's not reliable.  

1.  Looks like good groups to me - but I'd move back to 15 yards and bench the gun -

see what those groups look like.   :)

2.  Lots of people think heavier bullets "knock down steel" BETTER, but I'm

not one of those ...   Just my opinion.

3.  Extraction problems:  - lube?   mag springs?  how long since you've cleaned the extractor channel?

John... We use Atlantic for our pistol team at work. One Of the firearms instructors have me a box last time I was qualifying. Hopefully it is better than the Winchester. Either way, I bought a case if 124 gr minor PF last night, if I don't like it, I'll use it for practice and switch to something else.

21 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  Looks like good groups to me - but I'd move back to 15 yards and bench the gun -

see what those groups look like.   :)

2.  Lots of people think heavier bullets "knock down steel" BETTER, but I'm

not one of those ...   Just my opinion.

3.  Extraction problems:  - lube?   mag springs?  how long since you've cleaned the extractor channel?

Didn't have a chance to sight it in correctly. Didn't bring a rest or anything. It was at an indoor range and it was literally standing room only. For me, the practical accuracy of it is more than sufficient. It goes where I point it... Well, when I don't slam the trigger like a $3 hooker...lol

As for the extractor, not long between cleanings. I cleaned it completely after the last time I shot it. I had maybe 2 mags in it when it didn't extract. And I cleaned it completely yesterday afterwards. The brass head was actually deformed where the extractor claw would push across. I put some pictures at the below. Its tough to see. But the way the brass is pushed over, it seems like it just wasn't a good casting or something. And it wasn't even all the Winchester brass that did that. I inspected other brass I had collected, and it seems just fine. Didn't have any obvious signs of deformstion on the case head.

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/ryridesmotox/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160905_155433_zps41fmltag.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/ryridesmotox/Mobile%20Uploads/20160905_155433_zps41fmltag.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/ryridesmotox/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160905_155332_zpsjhcqmp77.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a589/ryridesmotox/Mobile%20Uploads/20160905_155332_zpsjhcqmp77.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by ryridesmotox

• 1 month later...

124 gr subsonic from American Eagle should put you close to minor PF. I used them out of my Glock before I bought my tanfo and started reloading. If you want the perfect setup, start reloading. You can get into it for a fair amount, and you won't regret it once you are setup. Dillon Square Deal B if all you want to do is reload for pistol, or a RL 550B is a great option. (the press I went with)

I have a friend with a Square Deal B setup for 9mm and .40 who wants $350 for everything, if you're looking to load pistol on a budget.

Conventional wisdom says that 147s knock down steel better than 115s at equal power factor.

Don't bother shooting groups to judge the gun's accuracy at anything less than 15yards. A 1" group at seven yards DOES NOT translate to 3" at 21 yards. Things spread out quickly with distance and shooting at 7yds can hide a lot. Glocks aren't accuracy machines, yet I've never failed to shoot one under an inch at 21 feet unless I shanked a shot.

I do groups at 25, and on the "operator side" of things,  I'm good for 3-4" groups at that distance. If it holds that at 25yd freestyle - and shrinks further when shot rested on bags - I'm happy with my gun and ammo. Or always have been, since I've always shot plastic striker guns. Knowing the Stock 3 should be much more accurate will probably get me to practice more at distance and try to improve on that 3" group size!

Edited by MemphisMechanic