Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd press... another 550B or upgrade to xl650

Currently running a 550B and case feeder with multiple pistol calibers, and have decided to add a second press and basically run small primer on one/large primer on 2nd.  Trying to decide whether to just get another 550B or move up to the 650 with case feeder.  Basically will dedicate one to large primer 45acp, and that will be highest volume - 1000-1500 rd a month +/- - which is not really high volume I suppose.  1st press will be small primer and do smaller runs of 38spl, 9mm and 40, just because I don't shoot those calibers as much, but mostly 9mm and 38.

*May* start doing 223/556 at a later date, which is small primer but figure I could setup decap/size/swage/trim etc on 650, then run rest of operations on 550 maybe with custom 223 case feeder setup..not sure.

Common sense says ( I think) to get 650 as 2nd press for most flexibility, and not to worry about small primer 223/556 until later, and run that sucker locked down for 45acp :)...  Then figure out best way to do 223/556 down the road

Well I use a 550 set up for small primers for small runs of 9mm and .223, I have 2 650's one for small primers, One for large primers with a case feeder that I can share between the 650's. The 650's are great for larger volume loading. Although I usually just load a 500-1000 at a time on them. Usually a couple of hundred on the 550. I like the 650's easy caliber changes especially when you don't have to switch out the primer feed.

I was in a similar boat, only I was reloading about 2K of 9mm per month, with the intention of processing 556-to-300blk, and reloading both calibers.  I went the s1050 route (added a second one after my 650 was purchased) and don't regret it one bit, it's great if you have to deal with crimped brass.  If crimped brass isn't a concern, the xl650 will get it done also.  Don't be concerned about switching primers system over on the xl650, once you've done it a couple of times it doesn't take but a few minutes.

I spend more time cleaning my press between caliber conversion, then I generally spend on the conversion.  Any tool heads you already have for the 550 can be converted fairly easy to the 650 with a tool head and caliber conversion kit.  I added a 650 and migrated the majority of my reloading to it, leaving my 550 setup for .45colt/.454.

A 650 with bullet feeder will crank out some ammo no doubt.

~g

No way a 550. 650 all the way. Just being able to pulll the handle and visually inspect for powder and then drop a bullet on a powdered case is worth it. If I was adding a case and turning everything by hand I'd probably forget at some point to do a given step. The 650 is so nice though, being able to not worry about case feeding or indexing, and hearing he bullet drop off the back size into a bin is so very satisfying.

If you do get a 550 though, check armslist or other sites as there are always a bunch for sale.

As to cost difference, this is how I rationalized my 650. .45ACP is $20 a box at the store. I can reload with coated bullets for $10 a box, saving myself $10 a box. In your case, 1,500 rounds a month is a $300 savings over store bought, and the press can be "paid for in savings" in just 3 months.