Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Safety Question 2011

bigboy69

On my gun, I noticed that I can move the thumb safety up while the hammer is down. 

I can rack the slide, engage the thumb safety, pull the trigger. I have no creep whatsoever. I take the safety off and no hammer follow.

So technically that would pass the safety test at a major match????

My question is why did that happen and how do I fix it??

You did not mention how far up the safety will go, but most safeties will move partially up with the hammer down.  Infinity thumb safeties prevent it due to their unique design which you read about on their web.  I wouldn't worry about it as long as the hammer holds when the safety is disengaged, which you said it does.

2 minutes ago, digi531 said:

You did not mention how far up the safety will go, but most safeties will move partially up with the hammer down.  Infinity thumb safeties prevent it due to their unique design which you read about on their web.  I wouldn't worry about it as long as the hammer holds when the safety is disengaged, which you said it does.

Yes it goes all the way up pretty much. I got to speak with Geo at EGW about it and he said with all the lightened hammers they will do it. It passes all safety tests for a match.

I can rack the slide, Put the safety on, pull the trigger and there is no creep, remove the thumb safety and the hammer has no creep or it does not follow.

I believe all Tanfos do it too. Different setup, but same principal, you can engage the safety with the hammer down.

12 hours ago, Speedsouthshooting said:

No sir. Single action pistols have to have a functional thumb safety. I would be afraid to run one without a safety. Your gonna have to disassemble and see what's going on.

I dont see where I said the safety doesnt work?? The safety works and passes all tests. I can engage the safety with the hammer down,

7 minutes ago, digi531 said:

Yes hammer does not creep one bit and does not follow when safety is taken off.

True, many hammers are cut way back in the area where the safety lobe would make contact on the hammer and if enough is removed the safety will go all the way up.  However, no big deal as long as the safety works, your good all day.

My apologies. In USPSA/steel challenge, you have to have the safety engaged with a single action pistol. The chrono officer will check the function of your safety. Not sure about what's going on. I was just answering half the question.

Edited by Speedsouthshooting

• 2 weeks later...