Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Was Feeling Great Shooting Idpa Riginal

Rikarin

Holy cow!

I should be happy given I had felt so puressured before, it was borrowed gun, my first big match, woke up at 330 too nervous, drove all the way and back alone and all.

I took so much time memorizing the stages before hand and it paid off. I didn't fall apart, didn't have falure to engage or procedural. Only 2 mikes and 2 stages out of 8 is only -1. I was so happy, having fun, exctatic, like, jumping up and down when official call "zero!" on the target I wasn't sure. (thanks for the applauds!)

Most of all, I didn't let "speed demon" bite me, I couldn't beleve it! You know, speed demon is so hard to tame ;)

But, result wasn't that good; :( :( I am sorry I let you down, Bob, I couldn't win High Lady... :( I am bummed. All I won (by raffle) was earmuff sweat cover stuff (which, I actually can use though)

It seems like I was waaaaaay too slow. I guess I was too cautious and checking the "holes" on each targets everytime I shoot, Because I TOTALLY lost ability to call shot this last couple of weeks shooting with broken barrel which spits bullets everywhere. (I just feel I am shooting worse than before, but that's totally another topic)

But, I wanted to say thanks to the wonderful, well oganized match. ROs are so nice, and pleasant. They wanted to everybody to do well and did everything they can for us. Thanks!

You never know how things are going to play out Rikarin. You might have what you think is a bad match and win your class. Or have a great match and place last in your class. Yesterday was a good day, you even said so. Only 2 mikes all day, I think that's great! Keep up the mental game and your wins will start coming. :)

RJ

Guest Larry Cazes

I know this isn't what you want to hear but........Relax and Enjoy the match and improvements are sure to follow. Enjoy the experience first and excel at it later! If theres one thing that I've learned in this game its that there is NO substitute for time and experience.

Please remember, Rika, that this was your first "major" match. There is a lot that goes on there that has nothing to do with how good your technicals skills are, (and you will see them improve with time, be sure of that). "Big match" nerves, shooting an "away" match, shooting among strangers, shooting with EXPECTATIONS, all will influence your shooting at the outset. Experience will see you get better and better.

Just remember, if it were easy, it wouldn't be challenging enough to be worth continuing the pursuit of excellence, whether you define that as the passing of benchmarks, better match performance, refinement of technique, or whatever.

Oh, and don't forget - you were shooting borrowed ammunition, in a different caliber from what you usually shoot, through a borrowed gun which was sighted in for a different shooter, through which you shot, what, perhaps a 100 practice rounds tops? (I should know, since I gave you the ammo and gun. Sorry, I thought you were shooting a local match, otherwise I would have given you more).

Kevin C.

(To admins, sorry this doesn't belong to Mental Conditiong... it was kinda follow up from "not pressured by others'" theread. Feel free to move.)

Oooooh, I woke up exhausted like never experienced. I am happy now. I gave my 100%. You are funny but so true. If its easy, why bother? :D

I watched my own video (thanks Matt, Wayne and others took my video) and it was without doubt my best pefromance. I am quite happy I was able to do my best at my first match.

Thanks so much for the gun, Kevin. Actually, if I shot mine, I'd be worse

Please remember, Rika, that this was your first "major" match. There is a lot that goes on there that has nothing to do with how good your technicals skills are, (and you will see them improve with time, be sure of that). "Big match" nerves, shooting an "away" match, shooting among strangers, shooting with EXPECTATIONS, all will influence your shooting at the outset. Experience will see you get better and better.

Just remember, if it were easy, it wouldn't be challenging enough to be worth continuing the pursuit of excellence, whether you define that as the passing of benchmarks, better match performance, refinement of technique, or whatever.

Oh, and don't forget - you were shooting borrowed ammunition, in a different caliber from what you usually shoot, through a borrowed gun which was sighted in for a different shooter, through which you shot, what, perhaps a 100 practice rounds tops? (I should know, since I gave you the ammo and gun. Sorry, I thought you were shooting a local match, otherwise I would have given you more).

Kevin C.

I didn't win anything either, but I had a great time.

For what it's worth, I saw you shoot stage 1 (the one with the mailbox). You did a SMOKIN FAST reload on that stage; all the shooters around me were impressed!

As many others have said here, you will do your best when you don't "try" to do your best. Where you want to "try" things is in practice.

I guess I was too cautious and checking the "holes" on each targets everytime I shoot, Because I TOTALLY lost ability to call shot this last couple of weeks shooting with broken barrel which spits bullets everywhere.

That makes it tough. (From Monty Pythons "You were lucky" sketch: "...We had it tough.")

Even if you're pretty good at calling (and your gun shoots where it's pointed), a big match will raise the doubt monster... it's sooo easy to want to look at those holes while you're shooting.

The bigger the match, the more your ability to "read the gun" is tested. Might as well start training that in local matches, now. ;) Maybe set a temporary goal, for a few matches - never "check the targets" while you're shooting them.

be

Hi Brian ;)

Upon your suggestion, I wil declare I will forget about good score for a while and set goals on each local matches like "today, I will do smoooooth" "today, its all about follow through". Back to basics. Better do now than unlearn later.

Oh, but its so hard not to think about scoring! Thats totally another mental conditioning topic I bet ;)

Thank you :wub:

That makes it tough. (From Monty Pythons "You were lucky" sketch: "...We had it tough.")

Even if you're pretty good at calling (and your gun shoots where it's pointed), a big match will raise the doubt monster... it's sooo easy to want to look at those holes while you're shooting.

The bigger the match, the more your ability to "read the gun" is tested. Might as well start training that in local matches, now. ;) Maybe set a temporary goal, for a few matches - never "check the targets" while you're shooting them.

be

Rika,

While useful for analyzing performance, concepts such as "smooth" or "follow through" are difficult to actually put into practice.

If your goal was to know your score on the targets without ever looking at the targets, then your attention would be on score, ;) but in a different way. To do that, all your attention would have to be on "reading the gun (sights)" as you are shooting each shot.

be

Mm, that's sooo Brian! triple, quadruple meaning sentence... "if calling isn't a way of life"

For a beginner like me, calling the shot in match is like composing a song about rainbow I have never seen in my life. You explained to me how rainbow is like and where and when I should be looking for; paper plates and sandbag @ 25yards. And I will do that, with a lot of whinning....man, it will be a lonely, boring, frustrating process!

I have a hunch, calling shot must be impossible to see if I try. Is it? I guess Its something I will run into when I least expect it. Isn't rainbow like that? So, unless I actually can see the rainbow and remember the feeling of watching it, I don't think I can compose a song :( Same goes to calling ths shot, but I am not saying I don't want to.

I still remember the feeling of December 2003, when I first time shot a gun. EX-SEAL insructor was telling me to just make this shape with sights and put your taget on top of the front sight, keep eye on the frontsight and pull the triger without disturbing it so that when dummy round is in and I pull the triger, gun doesn't move. That's all I have to do, he said. And I did exactly that and hitting the steel 10 out of 10 10-12 yards..

Oh, that feeling of exhiliration of this perfect moment which felt like forever and everything else other than me, frontsight, target and ding ding sound of the steel ceased to exhist. I felt like I was born to shoot and it was just so beautifully perfect.

I am certain I could've done 25 yards no problem because I had this feeling of all the planets has lined up to give me the power and nothing can stop me.

I have been jonesing for that feeling since then but it is completely lost arc. I am so sad that I can not duplicate that pefrect moment. I don't know its a innocence lost which you can not regain, mere beginner's luck or its something I can obtain with a lot of training.

(and picture is on that day. Look at my grip and stance!... and do anyone know what this gun is????)

But by all means, do what works best for you, especially if calling isn't a way of life.

;)

• 2 weeks later...
(and picture is on that day.  Look at my grip and stance!... and do anyone know what this gun is????)

The gun looks to be a Smith & Wesson third generation auto --- I'm guessing one of the slim, singlestack concealment models from the bobbed hammer --- with the safety applied......

Thank you!!

(and picture is on that day.  Look at my grip and stance!... and do anyone know what this gun is????)

The gun looks to be a Smith & Wesson third generation auto --- I'm guessing one of the slim, singlestack concealment models from the bobbed hammer --- with the safety applied......