Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Lead Does Everyone Use?

Flyin40

What lead bullets do everyone use??? I'm looking for some decent cheap lead bullets to practice with. Shooting jacketed is getting expensive. Who makes them and how much???

Flyin40

Shipping is killer, even though the nominal price might be attractive. I think the major suppliers of jacketed bullets in IPSC give breaks on shipping, which gets the price closer to lead or plated, if you get nicked for shipping for the latter. Local might be cheaper if it saves the shipping.

Do Oregon Trail, Meister or MB give volume breaks on price and shipping?

Actually, I'd like to find a good local plated bullet to practice with. I'm finally using up the last few thou of the Meisters I bought from a local shooter - nice and accurate, but smoky. It's nice to see the target on the second shot... :lol:

I like the precision bullets if I can get them. I understand they are back in production now.

I primarily cast my own practice bullets. 175 gr LTC. Rooster lube with a Star lubrisizer and I'm off to the loading bench. 3/4 range lead with 1/4 linotype. Hard non-leading bullets. And did I say Cheap????

dj

Flyin40 - You didn't say what caliber you need - I'm guessing .40.

Like Kevin said, shipping is the killer. If you can find some company in OH that makes bullets you like, you'll save on shipping - especially if they're within reasonable driving distance. The only company I can think of in OH is National Bullet Company. I think the url is http://www.nationalbullet.com but I'm not sure. They used to offer a sample pack of 100 for five bucks.

I've used several different brands of coated lead bullets for over 10 years. Frankly, they are all about the same. Many of them use the same molds and the coatings are very similar.

That said, they are much, much better than old-fashioned, un-coated lead bullets (with lube in the groove).

Flyin40, you need to get some guys together and make larger orders, the group of guys I shoot with order our bullets together and get some great savings. This year we went with plated frontier bullets, we paid $38 for 124gr 9mm $46 for 180 40S&W and $51 for 230gr 45ACP those prices are per thousand including shipping. You need to call around and see who will “deal” with you but if you place a big enough order you can get some great deals.

Precision molycoated work well (even in Glocks). National bullet in OH makes a quality lead traditional hardcast lead bullet.

Also, Midway might still sell the D&J brand traditional lead bullets out of maryland; these seemed to work OK though I would not try these in a GLock.