Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide cracking. Is it just particular brands of slides?

Sandbagger123

Everything is disposable/consumable... If my slide cracks I'll throw that SOB in the trash and get me a new one, or use one of the other badass race guns I got laying around.

Once you know about it, you can't forget. I shoot open and that's how it goes, gotta pay to play.

Everything is disposable/consumable... If my slide cracks I'll throw that SOB in the trash and get me a new one, or use one of the other badass race guns I got laying around.

Once you know about it, you can't forget. I shoot open and that's how it goes, gotta pay to play.

Yep, just buy another (insert part here), fit it, then shoot it :D

Say that after you shoot 5k through one and paid mid 3's for it... STI really screwed the pooch on the dvc's

At the end of the day it comes down to good heat treating. Gotta find that perfect balance point between too soft and too hard/brittle.

Some manufacturers seem to have that science down better than others.

You guys are talking about 1911/2011 slides, but Glocks for example, are heat treated to essentially perfection. (Lol, Glock...Perfection...) Anyway, they aren't soft slides by any means, yet even with extreme lightening I've seen Glock slides go well beyond the 50k+ rounds mark with no signs of cracking.

I have seen two G34s crack at the front lower corner of the ejection port on the right side. Both guns had at least 50k honest round count through them and were at least a decade old.

That's nothing but 9mm factory ammo and 9mm minor hand loads (titegroup and FMJs). No major ammo here - all IDPA SSP and USPSA Production.

Glock warrantied the slide in both cases.

At the end of the day it comes down to good heat treating. Gotta find that perfect balance point between too soft and too hard/brittle.

Some manufacturers seem to have that science down better than others.

You guys are talking about 1911/2011 slides, but Glocks for example, are heat treated to essentially perfection. (Lol, Glock...Perfection...) Anyway, they aren't soft slides by any means, yet even with extreme lightening I've seen Glock slides go well beyond the 50k+ rounds mark with no signs of cracking.

I have seen two G34s crack at the front lower corner of the ejection port on the right side. Both guns had at least 50k honest round count through them and were at least a decade old.

That's nothing but 9mm factory ammo and 9mm minor hand loads (titegroup and FMJs). No major ammo here - all IDPA SSP and USPSA Production.

Glock warrantied the slide in both cases.

Not saying they can't crack like any other slide, but I certainly don't see it near as often as some of these 1911 ans 2011 slides seem to.