Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays load data for 135gr plated bullet in G-19

GMB

I'm looking for a starting point. Trying to develop a IDPA load. Any info is much appreciated. I have looked and I am not finding much. Thanks.

Looking at the Hogdon online manual I would suggest Clays would not be your best bet. You are going to be at their maximum loading of 3.7 gr just to make bare minimum PF if you are talking 9MM using a 125 gr bullet. There are better powders to use Titegroup for plated/jacketed and 231/Unique for lead come to mind.

I use Clays for my revolver loads using 160 gr lead RN bullets to make power factor for revolver division with good results.3.7 gr grains gives me room on power factor and is clean burning. I use a 4.2" GP-100 and a 105.14 MM 686 Smith.

Take Care

Bob

Edited by robertbank

Thanks for the info. I am using 135gr plated. I know there are other choices but I want to give this a run. I have looked at the manual. I'm looking for data that someone has used with success.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I am using 135gr plated. I know there are other choices but I want to give this a run. I have looked at the manual. I'm looking for data that someone has used with success.

Thanks

Clays under a 135gr plated bullet is my favorite minor load:

3.6gr under a 135gr plated bullet at 1.135" make ~128pf in my CZ

I'm not looking for an exact load, I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible from current shooters using these components. I appreciate the info you provided. I do have a chrono. Thanks

In my experience velocity drops ~6% per inch of barrel length so if you have a 4" barrel you can expect to make minor between 3.6gr and 3.7gr. So I suggest you pick an OAL for your barrel/mags, load 6-10 rounds each: 3.2gr, 3.4gr, 3.6gr, 3.8gr and shoot them over the chrono.

Edited by kneelingatlas

That is the plan. My main concern is pressure, I had an experience once with a .40 I was loading for major at factory OAL. not good but at least there was no damage to the gun.

That is the plan. My main concern is pressure, I had an experience once with a .40 I was loading for major at factory OAL. not good but at least there was no damage to the gun.

the 9x19 case is a lot tougher than the 40 case, and like Jack says, there's a big difference between minor and major. Clays is a pretty pressure sensitive powder, but you know when you push it too hard long before you blow anything up. I've loaded 147s at 1.1" and that's a little much for Clays and it let's you know with the sound and accuracy: pop, pop, POW, pop, pop...

How long can you load the 135s in your Glock?