Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-tek(Hitek) bullets

gittist

• 2 weeks later...

MEK.....I remember the paint locker smell from my squadron days. Someone mentioned that an electrical smell may indicate the the bullets weren't baked enough. I shot some rounds off today and noticed that smell, just like the smell I used to get when the fuel pump relay went in my VW. I'll try the MEK this weekend. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

If the barrel is stainless, you can use a 50/50 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinegar.  Wear gloves.  this will also dissolve any lead in the barrel and make is soluble enough to be absorbed thru the skin.

Leave the barrel in the mixture for 20 minutes.  Then run a bore brush and patch thru the barrel.  Should be as clean as the day it was made.

try a 100% copper chore boy
This, wrap tight around an old bore brush, increase until you just about can't force it through the bore by hand, it will scrape out pretty much anything and not harm the steel. Works best dry.

If the MEK doesn't work.

I never had an issue with the fouling from HiTek, have had the smell and a colored star on the muzzle. Always came right out.

Too thin, bullet too small, or too hard and the coating will gas cut and lead horribly. Bad leading will not come out with Hoppe's and brushes. Chore boy will get it, or "the dip" described above.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I just shoot jacked bullets to clean the barrel. It really works great. 10 to 20 jacked down the pipe will push most all the crap out. But since I started shooting coated bullets I don't clean my barrel much, I'll just run a patch with Hoppies through the barrel a few times and call it good.