Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-tek(Hitek) bullets

gittist

I loaded up a bunch of 124 gr bullets and it seems that getting the Hi-tek coating out of the barrel is worse than lead. On my SCCY CPX 2 the lans have a residue that won't come off with #9 or with a .40 brush. I had similar issues with my M & P but at least it came clean using a larger brush.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Will shooting a lead or plated bullet it though maybe clear it up? Just a thought...

Thanks,

I shoot tons of Bayou and or SNS hitek coated bullets, 135g 9m and 200g 40's.. they clean up like i never shoot anything.. I only use desiel fuel and a plastic brush..

What brand are you shooting?

PM me

Edited by gittist

I loaded up a bunch of 124 gr bullets and it seems that getting the Hi-tek coating out of the barrel is worse than lead. On my SCCY CPX 2 the lans have a residue that won't come off with #9 or with a .40 brush. I had similar issues with my M & P but at least it came clean using a larger brush.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Will shooting a lead or plated bullet it though maybe clear it up? Just a thought...

Thanks,

I've shot tons of Hi-Tek coated bullets from Bayou, BBI and SNS and haven't experienced any build up. Are you sure it is the coating and not lead?

Pull a few bullets and see if you are scraping the coating while seating or cutting it with the crimp. If you're overcrimping or using something like a Lee FCD it can undersize coated bullets which is a common cause of leading.

If the manufacturer DID NOT BAKE LONG ENOUGH , usually because they are trying to raise production numbers, that can lead to barrel issues.

If you notice ELECTRICAL SMELL ISSUES they have NOT BEEN BAKED ENOUGH,

many manufacturers suffered from this issue initially. Manufacturers NEED TO HAVE THEIR PROCESS

UNDER CONTROL or issues can result.

I pulled a couple of bullets and you can see the crimp line but that's it. There are two nicks on one of the bullets where the bullet hit the rubber bottom of the puller and bounced back at the case. Other that that there is no lead showing. There were no shavings from having too small of a bell prior to pulling.

The pic was too large to upload...

If the manufacturer DID NOT BAKE LONG ENOUGH , usually because they are trying to raise production numbers, that can lead to barrel issues.

many manufacturers suffered from this issue initially. Manufacturers NEED TO HAVE THEIR PROCESS

Assuming what I've described is one of then barrel issue mentioned above, what do I use to get the barrel clean?

The coating is hard enough that I can't scrape if off with a fingernail but I can with the side of the screwdriver blade on my Swiss Army knife. Normal?

Someone else asked if I was sure it was the coating in the barrel and not lead. I went shooting this morning with a 9mm and a .40, and both barrels were clean. The only coated bullets I had were 9mm. I shot plated and then lead through the .40. The .40 barrel is now clean, the 9mm isn't.

If the manufacturer DID NOT BAKE LONG ENOUGH

This.

Try using a barrel paste, like JB's. Good luck. I've shot thousands of these coated bullets. I coat my own as well. When the coating is not cured enough, problems happen.

Out of curiosity, are you shooting a higher burning temperate powder like Titegroup?

5.x gr of W231 (it's either 5.1 or 5.3, I'm too lazy at the moment to go downstairs and look :-)

Properly applied and CURED, HI-TEK will withstand the heat, but UNDER CURED HI-TEK

can transfer to your barrel, and that condition just may be close to or PERMANENT.

I've used commercial and also self coated HI-TEK for a few years now and turned other

club members on to it. Most of us are shooting "ACME BULLETS" presently.

Acme seems to have their process UNDER CONTROL and produce a beautiful

product, even if it is LIPSTICK RED in color.

A common problem when there are poor QA practices in place..... Once this stuff cures it is very difficult to remove. I have seen barrels scrubbed to death with stainless steel bore brushes trying to get it all out. I found that Gold Medallion bore paste that cleaned mine up OK. Shooting jacketed bullets does not remove the cured material.

I have fired Blue Bullets, Bayous, and Black Bullets with absolutely no issues getting the coating lodged in the barrel. I agree with the rest, uncured finish will cause this. I would refrain from shooting any other bullet, cast, coated plated etc. until you get the coating out. Firing more rounds might well drive the coating even deeper.

Try JB bore paste to clean the barrel. It is abrasive, some people use it to lap their rifle barrels. I've seen it used to lap slide to frame fit on 1911's. It wont hurt your barrel, but should get just about anything out. I wouldn't go crazy with it, and if the gun still shoots well I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'd probably stop using those bullets though, maybe contact the manufacturer about the problem.

I've personally never had trouble like this with coated bullets, I've tried a few my favorite is Blue Bullets.

Out of curiosity, are you shooting a higher burning temperate powder like Titegroup?

5.x gr of W231 (it's either 5.1 or 5.3, I'm too lazy at the moment to go downstairs and look :-)

5+ gr of W231 seems very high to me.

I'll ask again. What brand are the bullets?

And I'm curious as well on the load. I think that's about a grain higher than I ran 124's with to make a good minor load?

I'll ask again. What brand are the bullets?

And I'm curious as well on the load. I think that's about a grain higher than I ran 124's with to make a good minor load?

No answer? Tell them to drop and give me 10. :roflol:

Well, what I was getting at was maybe the OP thought they were hitek but maybe they were precision moly bullets and it was moly coating in the barrel which was also hard to remove.

Not implying stupidity at all but sometimes we chase things for several pages only to find out something obvious was overlooked.

If they were Missouri bullets I think they are new comers to the hitek game and maybe don't have things perfected yet?

Well, what I was getting at was maybe the OP thought they were hitek but maybe they were precision moly bullets and it was moly coating in the barrel which was also hard to remove.

That was my first thought as well...