Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 limcat N320 180gr precision delta KKM barrell

nickbfishn

I've searched a bunch and think I have a recipe, but would like some feedback.

I'm using a 5" KKM bull barrell, precision delta 180gr jacketed / lead bottom bullets, n320 powder, cci primers, and mixed brass. I want to build up some loads and see what works best on chrono for 170pf +/- 2.

From what I've gathered I think these are my starting plans:

5.1gr and OAL 1.175

5.1gr and OAL 1.180

5.2gr and OAL 1.185

5.2gr and OAL 1.190

Should I add some other variations to this,including loading longer and or more powder? I live an hour from the range and want to make the most of my time. Any suggestions are welcomed.

You may wanna load up a few of a lighter charge and a few with a heavier charge too. Im thinking your charge is about right with a shorter oal. Stretching them out that long though should slow them down. Considering you are so far from your range i would make sure you make the most out of the trip. Would stink leaving there not knowing what your load will be. Start at like 4.8 and work up to maybe even 5.4 or 5.5. I see some people even load 180s out to 1.200

I would not load any longer than 1.18, most 2011 will run fine at that length. Start low and work up in 0.1 increments and I am sure you will find what works best in your gun. If you do a search on here you will find a ton of info. on N320 and 180gr. bullets, 320 is very popular.

Edited by SWprotected

Start at like 4.8 and work up to maybe even 5.4 or 5.5.

​+1. If this trip to the range is that important, I'd start with a wider range of powder charges.

I'd also throw in plans to measure accuracy of each load, while you're there - just place

​ a target 20 - 25 yards past your chrono, and measure accuracy & velocity at same time. :)

I'm new to reloading and am trying to figure out load development. I am working on loads similar to yours. This is the data I recorded yesterday at the range.

CED Millennium Chrono, Sunny and dry, 88 F, started at 1 PM

MG 180 gr JHP (.400), mixed brass, 1.19" OAL, VV N320; I load on a 650XL - I intend to shoot major only.

Shot from my STI Trojan

Avg Vel PF SD

4.0 gr - 745 134 25

4.3 gr - 777 142 33

4.5 gr - 838 151 28

4.8 gr - 894 161 13

5.0 gr - 917 165 12

5.2 gr - 963 173 6

5.4 gr - 981 177 9

I shot 5 round strings. I kept the data in the chrono, but also wrote down velocity for each shot on a tablet (new to Chrono's and am still figuring it out) I recorded the results from the chrono, but also made a spread sheet of the velocities for each load and calculated the avg velocity, SD and PF and that is what is reflected in the data above - not what the chrono said, although they were quite close.

I may try loading to 1.18 and possibly 1.17, but my mags are 10 mm Tripps, and require I load long. Standard white box Winchester rounds nosedive These loads ran 100% on both guns.

I shot the same as above with my 5" STI Executive. The results were about the same, but the Executive is a much nicer shooting iron. I did not have a paper target available to test accuracy, but I did shoot steel torso targets at about 30 yards and nailed them with no problem.

Hope this helps

Edited by armydad

I'm new to reloading and am trying to figure out load development. I am working on loads similar to yours. This is the data I recorded yesterday at the range.

MG 180 gr JHP (.400), mixed brass, 1.19" OAL, VV N320; I load on a 650XL - I intend to shoot major only.

Shot from my STI Trojan

Avg Vel PF SD

4.0 gr - 745 134 25

4.3 gr - 777 142 33

4.5 gr - 838 151 28

4.8 gr - 894 161 13

5.0 gr - 917 165 12

5.2 gr - 963 173 6

5.4 gr - 981 177 9

I shot 5 round strings. I kept the data in the chrono, but also wrote down velocity for each shot on a tablet (new to Chrono's and am still figuring it out) I recorded the results from the chrono, but also made a spread sheet of the velocities for each load and calculated the avg velocity, SD and PF and that is what is reflected in the data above - not what the chrono said, although they were quite close.

I may try loading to 1.18 and possibly 1.17, but my mags are 10 mm Tripps, and require I load long. Standard white box Winchester rounds nosedive These loads ran 100% on both guns.

I shot the same as above with my 5" STI Executive. The results were about the same, but the Executive is a much nicer shooting iron. I did not have a paper target available to test accuracy, but I did shoot steel torso targets at about 30 yards and nailed them with no problem.

Hope this helps

Did you chrono the Winchester? I would be interested in the results if you have a chance.

I thought I did the time before, but it was white box 9mm (115 gr). To give you an idea, per Winchester, white box 9mm has a muzzle velocity of 1190, and at 5 yards is 1176. That would make PF 139 and 135, respectively. They chrono'd out of my unmolested Glock 17, 5-round string, with a PF of 133, so pretty close as my chrono was about 10' out.

Winchester white box 180 gr reports muzzle velocity to be 1020 and then at 5 yards to be 1014. That would make PF 184 and 183, respectively (rounding up). I will chrono them my next time out. Hopefully next Friday.

Shot from my STI Trojan

Avg Vel PF SD

4.0 gr - 745 134 25

4.3 gr - 777 142 33

4.5 gr - 838 151 28

4.8 gr - 894 161 13

5.0 gr - 917 165 12

5.2 gr - 963 173 6

5.4 gr - 981 177 9

Hope this helps

Looks like 5.1 wil be your magic number of you stick with 1.19. I just got back from vacation but I plan to have a similar set for testing thanks to the suggestions by you and others. And I will also set a target out down range and fire an additional 3-5 shots of each for accuracy. I think I'll have a long day ahead of me, but will be time well spent dialing in what I need.

Dillon 650 w/ case feeder and MBF; RF-100 primer filler. I use the Shock Bottle, 100 round case gauge and gauge every round before transferring the loaded rounds into MTM cases.

For case prep: Case-Pro 100 w/case feeder and PW auto-drive. Presently I both tumble, decap and SS pin, prior to roll-sizing. That part isn't real efficient, but I'm working on being less anal about it and modifying the process. My goal is to load as efficiently and precisely as possible, while producing near 100% reliable rounds.

I was after the OP since they are 1 hour from range. anyway one way to do it is to set up a 550 or even a single stage with a Dillon powder measure on it so you can clamp it to something at the range then you can start going up on powder till you get where you want for PF.

then just put that powder measure on your regular press. I guess you might even be able to weigh charges????

That way you don't make up guestimate loads, pull bullets, and all the crap that goes along with preloading.