Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unpasted target - could not find the answer

herman

Personally I don't much care whether it is allowed or not, as it stands right now I can find nothing specifically against it and I can make an argument for it based on the wording of the rulebook. I bet if I tried arguing this at 100 matches, I'd win some and lose some. That isn't cool. If the BoD's opinion on the matter is they never want reshoots under this circumstance, spell it out similarly to the IPSC rulebook - that's fine.

I think it would be fine to allow it while putting it up to the discretion of the RO under the conditions of what I outlined earlier in the thread. I'd like to think the RO has a pretty good idea of which targets were engaged from where and would be able to tell if the shooter made the mistake in target engagement. If ROs are given the power to make judgement calls in other areas of interference, I think they'd be able to handle it in this case as well.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've long held the opinion that one important thing missing from our rulebook is the clear instruction to shooters to never stop for a target that has holes in it which they believe they have not yet engaged.

Because of that omission, it's an odd right-of-passage that sooner or later we come up on a target with holes in it, stop and look at the RO like, "WTF?!?!", and they do nothing. The RO isn't allowed to coach by saying, "Keep going and we'll work it out later!", and the clock is running. What I learned to do as a RO was to (mutely) look at the timer, and then turn the display to the shooter as a silent way of saying, "The clock's running...Go!" Most eventually get the message. Some don't. Either way...the clock is running.

I don't like that solution at all. It's too ambiguous. I feel like I'm participating in a "gotcha" moment, one created by me and my fellow ROs on that stage by not ensuring the stage was reset, and that's not what I'm there for. Blown pasters aside, we usually know when it's a situation caused by the stage ROs. I felt like shit every time it's ever happened but my hands are tied.

I like the idea of a rule like what was quoted from the IPSC rulebook in post #48, that educates competitors to not stop...Keep Going!

==================

Jake: I wish I could stop them and offer a reshoot for my negligence, but the rulebook as currently written doesn't show me where I'm empowered to do that. *BTW - long time. no see. I hope we can correct that.

==================

As for things like a popper not being reset, or seeing a plate fall from a Star when the supporting mechanism is shot, or a plate doing the same, I stop the shooter immediately to conserve ammo. No point in forcing people to waste ammo on a run that doesn't count.

• 1 month later...

I may be missing something but I don't see the issue. For the shooter or the RO. First, the RO's are volunteers that really try hard to make sure the stage is reset as it should be for the next shooter. Some days are harder than others depending on the shooters they have dealt with but yes, things get missed from time to time and they don't like it either. Besides targets not being taped, sometimes plasters are blown off or simply fall off. Regardless, it's the shooters responsibility to shoot the stage unless given the stop order. More often than not, the RO can tell by overlay or grease rings which holes were that shooters or the previous shooter. I'm sure as heck not going to stop a shooter that may be having the run of his life to later find out that it wasn't going to be a scoring issue anyway.

Edited by Jmob50