Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

supp vs no supp zero

usmc1974

I am still learning the suppressor thing. How different is your sup vs non sup zero? Mine is differnet for sure. I zeroed my rifle with out the supp then shot it with the supp and went from 3 clover leaf in the center of the bull to a clover leaf about 4 inches high right.

• 3 weeks later...

In precision matches i see some using supressors and some not. why? Is it a personal preference? Im starting to shoot PRS matches my first one is 24th july im setting my gun up should i set it up with supressor or without? any advantage to using one? I have a Silencerco. speqwar 7.62 with quick connect if that matters

Edited by tannerlc

If you have a rifle with a direct attach can most people will put them on a rifle and leave them there as there is always going to be some shift. If you shoot a higher round count with a rifle suppressor you are going to get lots of mirage off the suppressor and your zero will walk as your can heats up. Most of the guys that shoot PRS seriously shoot with a muzzle break on their rifles. If you want to use the can in the match you might look into a cover.

Ummm....

Pretty sure that there are a majority in PRS matches that run cans. Lots of the firing position have you inside of stuff and/or on the ground. The can keeps that blast from being nearly as disruptive with concussion to the shooter and blast to dust/dirt/leaves and such around the firing position, it keeps noise down when you are inside things, it is the best brake you can get, it makes it easier to hear things around you (call corrections, etc.) if you are in a 2-man event, lots of reasons to use one if you have it. If you plan to use one, zero with it.