Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I screw up? Bought VV N-135 for 308

chrishoesel

Hi guys,

I just ordered an LMT MWS 308 gas gun, and conversion kit for one of my S1050's (processing and loading heads)

So for the first time in years, Brownell's has a good stock of VV 8# powder jugs. On a wim, I decided to buy 16# of N-135 intending to load 308 and heavier 223. I've used VV powder for pistol and also 338LM in the past and love their powders.

Load data indicates that N135 will be good for the 168gn SMK I intend to load, however it's not ideal. Also published is good fast loadings for 223 and 77gn SMK. However, on forums people are saying that N135 might be a tad too fast for my intended application, and should have selected N140 instead.

What say you? Should I get some lighter (155) projectiles for 308, or try to sell the N-135 and go with N-140? I've pretty much blown my budget for the year, so can't really just go out and buy more powder. I do have 50+ pounds of 8208XBR as well that I can use, but wanted to use the VV to run a bit cleaner.

Anyone use N-135 to good effect for 168gn SMK or Scenars? I'm trying to stay in the 2600fps range for them. Load data says it can do it, just not sure on the pressures involved.

Thanks!

Chris

I would try both your N135 and the XBR 8208 and see how they perform. I use XBR8208 with the 175gr myself but for years H4895 which is similar in burn rate to N135 was used in 308's and 30-06 so you maybe surprised.

I recently bought 1# of N135 and 2# of N140.

N140 is the accuracy load for both Nosler and Sierra in the 150-155g bullet weight . I've tried it for 155 TMKs and it was sub MOA.

Have yet to try the N135 but was planning on giving it a shot with 125g pills

Edited by NatureBoy