Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MUCH SHORTER OAL w/ the new BBI 147 gr.

MissionaryMike

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Could that be due to Blue's are .355 and BBI are .356?

Don't think so. I backed off on my flare about .005 for the blue. plus the blue when loading fast don't have to be exactly straight up and down. if I had a bbi slightly tilted it was guaranteed to shave.

4 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

Yes, he could be flaring enough to accept Blues, but not BBI, and get shaving as a result.

I'm not sure exactly what the diameter of the case mouth is after you guys flare it, but I barely have to flare at all for the BBI's in my Dillon 650.  I don't get any shavings.  

51 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

I'm not sure exactly what the diameter of the case mouth is after you guys flare it, but I barely have to flare at all for the BBI's in my Dillon 650.  I don't get any shavings.  

Yeah I don't get shavings with BBI either. Using Dillon dies/650

10 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

To be clear, I was backing up BRAD's clarification and its plausibility, not declaring what was going on with any problem in particular. 

Yeah, ID, you don't need to justify your statements. I get it.  Personally, I've taken much advice from you as wisdom when it comes to reloading.  I know that you know what you're talking about.  

23 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Yeah I don't get shavings with BBI either. Using Dillon dies/650

Same for me.  BBI and Bayou load fine.  Just did 3000 9mm Bayou without a hitch.  I don't think it's a bullet problem, more likely setup.

I load 147 BBIs on two Dillon 550 toolheads. Both tool heads use the DAA bulletfeeder case expander/powder funnel(set pretty light), one uses a Redding Comp seating die with a Dillon crimp die, the other uses a Lee seat+crimp die. I have no bullet shaving going on with either toolhead.