Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope Mounting On Ruger 10/22

DogmaDog

Hey all,

I just bought a Ruger 10/22 to plink with, and perhaps turn into a cheap 3-gun practice rifle.

I want to get a Simmons 1.5-5x pro-diamond scope, as seems popular here for 3-gun, and is cheap enough that I won't spend more on the scope than on the rifle.

I've read that the scope mount included with the 10/22 isn't very good, but I have no idea how to tell what is good in terms of scopes and rings.

I'm also going to want some high cap magazines for the thing. I see those all over the place, with 30 round "Eagle" brand going for $10 at CDNN investments.

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced scope base and rings for my new toy?

Can anyone recommend which magazines I should buy, or which I should steer clear of?

Thanks for your help,

DogmaDog

Had mine over 25 years now.

I bought the cheapest rings I could find, slid them on the built-in rail. They've never given me a problem.

For me Factory Ruger 10-shot mags were by far the most reliable. They're still cheap enough ~ $15...

Couldn't even tell you about the large caps, they never fed right - but those are really old. Hopefuly someone with recent experience can chime in.

Thanks,

I picked out a power custom mount at midway. I hope 1" is the right diameter for the scope rings...if it isn't, i'm kinda hosed. I couldn't find THAT info anywhere, which must mean that almost all scopes are 1"...hmmm.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

DD

Thanks all,

I just unloaded a wad of cash at midway, and ordered the scope from CDNN investments ($50, what a bargain).

I also stumbled into www.rimfirecentral.com, which must be the 10/22 analog of the benosverse forums. I don't know if any of those guys know anything about shooting, but they know a lot about rimfire rifles and accessories. Lots of cool stuff if you need info about a .22

Thanks again,

DogmaDog

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

More information on the 10/22 and rimfires in general then you will ever want.

No doubt about that. Built my 10/22 tack driver using information from the site. It is sweet. Peruse posts by BigChief. Apparently he's a rimfire guru and what he says you can take to the bank. Friendly bunch too.