Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 VA State Championship @ Kettlefoot

gahunter12

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there on Squad 1 with a bunch of local shooters from the Charlotte area. Be the first time there as well. Be a very long day with 16 stages and climbing the hills to the shooting bays.

Edited by Marshal82

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone here going to Bristol for the 2016 VA state match 6/24-6/25? I will be there for my first one, and look forward to it. Sounds like they put on a pretty good match. We will be driving up from NE Georgia Friday morning.

How do you haul your gear? Cart, stroller, ect? There is a BIG HUGE hill that depending on what squad you get assigned to you might have to go up it twice. It's what made me switch from a cart to a stroller. Bring a chair because its a long day but a good day. I missed last year and will miss this year due to prior engagements but its always a good match wtih great workers.

Anyone here going to Bristol for the 2016 VA state match 6/24-6/25? I will be there for my first one, and look forward to it. Sounds like they put on a pretty good match. We will be driving up from NE Georgia Friday morning.

How do you haul your gear? Cart, stroller, ect? There is a BIG HUGE hill that depending on what squad you get assigned to you might have to go up it twice. It's what made me switch from a cart to a stroller. Bring a chair because its a long day but a good day. I missed last year and will miss this year due to prior engagements but its always a good match wtih great workers.

I use a cart. Do you have an idea what squad #'s usually have to make the climb twice? I am on Squad 5. I'm glad you said something about chairs. All the ranges here in Ga, Al, & Sc have benches to sit in under those metal car ports. I didn't know if they had seats or not.

There is no shade that I recall. That's why I have a beach umbrella on my cart. Usually for big matches my sister goes with me so I have chairs and shade and snacks for her. As to what squads would start on the hill it would depend on how they number the bays for the stages.

YOu guys see the stages? What do you think? The stage designs leave some questions for sure.

Sorry haven't been on this site in a while. Yea I noticed some of the stages changed from how they posted. The V Drill ended up changing to Mozambique's. without going in to great detail there was a lot of questions asked from a few top shooters in my squad about cover on stages 1,3&4. All in all it was a good match. I ended up 10th in SSP/SS due to my brain not working with my trigger finger on the theater stage. That pretty much costed me a top 5. Oh well we all live, and learn.

YOu guys see the stages? What do you think? The stage designs leave some questions for sure.

Sorry haven't been on this site in a while. Yea I noticed some of the stages changed from how they posted. The V Drill ended up changing to Mozambique's. without going in to great detail there was a lot of questions asked from a few top shooters in my squad about cover on stages 1,3&4. All in all it was a good match. I ended up 10th in SSP/SS due to my brain not working with my trigger finger on the theater stage. That pretty much costed me a top 5. Oh well we all live, and learn.

We had those same cover issues. It was mentioned to the MD on one of his passes, and his response was that is how the MD, AC, and Range Master decided it would be called. It was left at that, because arguing would have been futile. Decent match but the lack of movers made the stages look elementary.

I think our biggest complaint was on Stage 1 you couldn't expose your left foot to the targets at P2. Stage 3 the SO said I don't care about P2 while you are shooting from P1. Then on Stage 4 the SO said don't expose yourself to targets at P2. We had a 15 min delay while one of the top shooters questioned the consistency. Wasn't a big deal for me, but I agree about the movers. Would have been nice to see a few more movers.

• 3 weeks later...

I think our biggest complaint was on Stage 1 you couldn't expose your left foot to the targets at P2. Stage 3 the SO said I don't care about P2 while you are shooting from P1. Then on Stage 4 the SO said don't expose yourself to targets at P2. We had a 15 min delay while one of the top shooters questioned the consistency. Wasn't a big deal for me, but I agree about the movers. Would have been nice to see a few more movers.

The cover calls on those three stages kinda pissed me off. I understand things can be interpreted differently but these were a clear cut case of ignoring the relevant page in the rulebook. We just went on and shot but it lowered my confidence in staff competency.

Other than that, no issues and some fun stages at a good facility.

• 3 weeks later...