Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spreader vs Diffusion

caz41

Chokes? Same thing by different names...? Different companies have chosen to address the issue by different means, but the goal of them all is the same; bigger pattern as quickly as possible beyond the muzzle.

Briley puts rifling their Diffusion chokes. Another company uses a series of constrictions/expansions in their tubes. I'm sure that there are others methods out there as well.

There are also “spreader” shells (generally consisting of a post inside the wad) that are designed to cause the shot column to open up quicker and produce a wider pattern at close distances.

Chokes? Same thing by different names...? Different companies have chosen to address the issue by different means, but the goal of them all is the same; bigger pattern as quickly as possible beyond the muzzle.

Briley puts rifling their Diffusion chokes. Another company uses a series of constrictions/expansions in their tubes. I'm sure that there are others methods out there as well.

One uses negative constriction and the other uses rifling. So not the same thing and hence my inquiry about someone trying both.

Have not shot sporting clays in a while but the Briley Diffusion choke was the ticket for clay targets within 12 yards moving from side to side.

For incoming clays, the Diffusion with Fiocchi spreader shells were great especially those coming within a few yards of the shooter.

I do not have a Diffusion choke for my 3 gun shotgun but do carry a box of spreaders for clays within 10 yards.

Any one have a idea how to make one? My Versamax sportsman was cut back and threaded for truchokes and I can't find a diffusion/spreader choke for it.

Do they make much difference?

Briley makes custom chokes using one of your chokes as a pattern for the threading.