Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Approaching swingers

mcoliver

Scenario:

1. You're moving into a position that has a swinger (already swinging) and some static targets.

2. You cannot see the state of the swinger while still moving into that position.

Question:

1. How do you guys setup in this case?  Do you prepare to shoot the swinger hoping it will be there or prepare to shoot the static targets instread and wait for the swinger to reappear?

2. Will your priorities change if you're using iron sights? Or the swinger is > 10 yards?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Quote: from mcoliver on 8:22 am on Feb. 23, 2003

Scenario:

1. You're moving into a position that has a swinger (already swinging) and some static targets.

2. You cannot see the state of the swinger while still moving into that position.

There has to be a point while you are moving that the swinger becomes visuable. (You will have to see it to shoot at it....sometime)

During the walkthrough get to know that point or move in a way that you get your eyes on the swinger as early as possible.  You don't have to shoot it but while still moving and shooting the static targets you will know from wich side the target will become visuable again. And that's a great advantage.

DVC

Adrie

I'm with both of the guys here. I heard Saul Kirsch has a stopwatch and times the swinger. He knows what he can do before engaging it. You'll have to be VERY confident to apply this strategy.

So, if you're not what A3 says makes sense. You can notice the swinger while engaging static targets and anticipate when you'll shoot it (also what Jake said).

this really depends on the situation and your skill level. If it's an *easy* (full, slow, close) swinger, then I either decide ahead of time based on its timing whether to shoot static->swinger or vice versa, or I go with the flow and shoot it when I see it. But if it's a difficult one (partial, fast, far) I usually shoot it first or last or in any other *rigidly preplanned* order from that position, *no matter what*! Getting the hits on a tough swinger is hard enough so that I need a plan *and stick to it*!

I would set up on a spot behind where the swinger is going to be when it is easiest to hit and wait for the target. It is the simplest thing to do for me and it is visually the easiest thing to do. Chance are people will screw it up by trying wierd timing things and not getting it the 1st time and will be slower that making sure you shoot it the 1st time you possibly can. My therory is at worst you wait for one full swing and you don't have to wait for it twice.

For me...with swinger, drop-turner, sliders, etc. ...it is all about seeing.

When I go into an area that has moving targets, I try to come with a loose plan.  The position of the mover will determine my shooting order.  

I want to shoot the mover as if it were a static target...I want to shoot it when it is in it's "sweet spot".  So, I come into a position with a flexible shooting order.  

If the mover is where I want it when I come in, I go with plan "A".  If it is not there, then plan "B"...or, plan "C".  However it works out.

I hate not to be shooting.  I don't want to wait.  If I am waiting on a mover, then I likely didn't have a good plan going in.

I'm with Flex. There's no fixed rule. It's best to be open and shoot what you see. A few generalities:

If the swinger has a "small sweet spot," it's going to be tough (or lucky) to shoot it first. It's almost impossible to predict if you will be able to shoot it, without waiting, by the time you set up enough to make the hits.

You make or save time when entering a box by shooting an easy target first.

If you have to leave again after the swinger, it's dangerous to shoot it last because the tendency is to want to leave the area without KNOWING you got your hits on it.

If there are any static targets placed near the swinger, shoot your way into the swinger from those, so you can gauge the swinger's position peripherally while shooting the statics.

be

Excellent responses guys. I generally also apply a loose plan when it involves swingers that are visible only in a certain position (like awkwardly leaning out from a window).   I've also started timing activated targets. Having still limited experience, a target that appears a full second after being activated seems so fast in the walk-thru until I time it and the timer says otherwise. Knowing how much time I have also prevents me from rushing other targets while waiting for the swinger. :)

Thanks a lot guys.