Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defensive Tactics

Clay1

I know that this site doesn't encourage discussions of actual tactics used with defensive handguns, and that this site is a target based discussion. I also realize that the people that are knowledgable about actual tactics used in defensive situations visit this site. I am not looking for a tactics or actual technique discussion here. I am looking for references on where to find good information.

So where does one learn how to actually defend self and family with a weapon? I assume classes would be best. I am familiar with Suarez Internation and Maas Ayoob's Stress Fire. Would also be interested in reference to manuals or videos on the subject. Other web sites that are more appropriate for this type of discussion would also be welcome. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Rick

I've been to Gunsite and ThunderRanch Texas and I really liked Clint Smith and his facility in Texas. I understand he's in Oregon now so I don't know his setup there. But knowing him, it's likely better than what he had in Mt. Home. Again, don't know if it's still offered but there was a team class (i.e. for husband and wife) on the curriculum when I went. He also had a great targeting system for the "fun house" and tower that forced you to engage multiple target areas before the target would "neutralize." Don't know where you are, but KRTraining (Texas) is good too - I know the owners and would respect anything they say. I believe they offer force on force with airsoft too.

The basics of learning to shoot accurately and quickly can be found here on the BE forums. The basics of how to handle a tactical situation when it is encountered cannot be found here.

Carinab is correct about seeking training for this. Go to a professional who has "seen the elephant" for sure. Clint Smith is a good start. Massad Ayoob and the Lethal Force Institute is another good direction. Look for a book called "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. Another good one by Mas is called "Stress Fire".

http://www.ayoob.com/

Ayoob not only discusses tactics and mindset, but he also delves into the legalities involved.

BTW, please remember that this is a competition shooting related forum and this type of discussion is a little off the true path here.

That said, I would also advise against looking for solid tactical info on internet forums, or you may just get what you deserve ;-)

--

Regards.

That said, I would also advise against looking for solid tactical info on internet forums, or you may just get what you deserve ;-)

Ditto. replace the word "solid" above with your choice of: accurate, factual, helpful, consistent, based on experience, relevant, proven, or any number of other adjectives that inadequetely describes the cesspool of disinformation out there on the net on this subject. :huh:

The one thing I heard about Thunder Ranch is that NO SMILING IS ALLOWED. Do not attend with any intent of having fun. Laugh at the wrong time and you might not make it out alive.

:ph34r:

Personally, I'd rather see you give your money to a Matt Burkett or a Rob Leatham level of instructor, then read a couple tactical books to soothe your inner-commando. Being good is a perfectly legitimate tactic.

Speaking as a noob shooter, I have seen some awesome shooters at our club (EricW, Bill Sahlberg & Sons, Kimel, MCarbon etc.) that left me in awe when I first watched them. What continues to amaze me is that these guys shoot the pants off law enforcement individuals that I have seen. I think I would rather have a Scott Springer or the aforementioned teaching me or at my back than anyone else. So EricW and Georges words go a long ways.....spend it on people that can really teach you how to shoot and anything you need in a real situation will be there. I am a strong advocate on hand to hand, because most of your conflicts will be in situations where you dont have a gun, like frickin' golfing around angry jackasses or having a quiet night out with your family at a restaruant etc. Just one more tool in the shed in case you need it.