Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 Super Mag for Heavy Metal?

trodrig

I'm considering picking up a Remington 870 super mag with 3.5" chamber to use in heavy metal 3 gun. Can anyone comment on pros and cons of this platform? I'm thinking 26" barrel. Would there be much benefit to the 3.5" super mag or would a 3" version be preferable? Doesn't look like the loading port on the 3.5 is much bigger but I need to look at them side by side again to confirm.

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!

Thomas

Even the standard Nova will stand head and shoulders above modern Remingtons. The action is smooth and the loading port is giant. A Supernova seems to be the gun to beat, though. I can certainly attest that the Comfortech stock does what it says it does.

Thomas,

There is no difference in port size between the 3 inch and 3.5 inch Remingtons. If you look at a supermag you will see that they even use the same size bolt. The supermag has an added dust / debris cover to fill the gap in the enlarged ejection port.

Quality control is definitely lacking in new production guns so my advice is to look at gun shows and pawn shops for an older wingmaster if you choose the Remington.

I have shot both the Rem and the Nova for several years and the Nova definitely gets the edge when it comes to loading and modifying the loading port. The Rem receiver is all steel so it will be an exercise in determination to open it up. I use load 2 and conventional weak hand loading and my times during an actual course of fire with both guns are about the same with an edge going to the Rem since I have been shooting one for over 25 years.

I have a problem out running the magazine with both guns and that includes modding the action bars to alter shell latch / stop timing. I have settled on a 10 shot tube with an un-cut Nordic spring as it minimizes the occurrence.

It simply comes down to finding out which one you shoot better. The better you shoot, the less you miss. Missing less after the buzzer goes off makes things a lot easier and reduces your reliance on having a gun that loads a half second faster.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Thanks for the inputs guys! I may wait for the next gun show and see if an older wingmaster can be found on the cheap. Otherwise I'll probably go with the super nova. For barrel lengths, is 26" preferred or everyone going 24"?

Thomas

21 is my preferred length, but the the shortest OEM Nova barrel is 24. You can get Remington 21" VR barrels, but they can be a little pricey.

I picked up a 28 VR express barrel and had a machinist friend cut it at 21 and cut it for screw in chokes.

I prefer a shorter barrel not so much for maneuverability, but for ease in pointing and swinging from target to target. If I run a 24 inch or longer barrel the extra weight on the end makes the gun a little harder to drive from target to target. A lot of folks have no problem with a 24 or 26. Balance plays a big part in shotgunning.

For advice on Nova mods, check with Pat Kelley or Trapr Swanson (Bigbrowndog on these forums).

21 is my preferred length, but the the shortest OEM Nova barrel is 24. You can get Remington 21" VR barrels, but they can be a little pricey.

I picked up a 28 VR express barrel and had a machinist friend cut it at 21 and cut it for screw in chokes.

I prefer a shorter barrel not so much for maneuverability, but for ease in pointing and swinging from target to target. If I run a 24 inch or longer barrel the extra weight on the end makes the gun a little harder to drive from target to target. A lot of folks have no problem with a 24 or 26. Balance plays a big part in shotgunning.

For advice on Nova mods, check with Pat Kelley or Trapr Swanson (Bigbrowndog on these forums).

Thanks for the advice Kuan! If I go Nova I'll pick up the 24" and see how it handles. If it feels like too much I'll plan to have it cut down. There should be enough meat in the 24" to cut and tap for chokes, right?

Thomas

Never shot the nova, but I've heard great things about them. I ran my bare bones 870 just fine for my first two years of 3 gun, and still shoot it almost as fast as my M2. But then again, it has also been my duck/goose/dove/quail/ptarmigan/grouse/turkey/squirrel/rabbit/deer/chukar/trap/skeet/clays shotgun for over 10 years, and I know the gun very, very well. There's no need for the magnum version. With the steel receiver, it does take a bit more work to open up the loading port, but with a bit of time, a good set of files and a steady hand, you should have no issue getting it to where you like. I did take the dremmel sander to the front of the trigger group as there's a slight lip there that needed smoothed out. Never tried loading quads with it, but I can loads twins on it smooth as butter.

Thomas,

I don't have one here to look at dimensions, but barrel wall thickness is greater than the autoloading Benelli's. I have run a 24" Nova with a 10 rd tube enough to say that it really doesn't swing too bad because of the lighter overall weight of the gun.

Kuan

Not a lot of love for Mossberg pumps due to lack of good configurations for most 3 gun. I did have a 590 A1 9 shot about 20 years ago that came from the factory with Accu-chokes and ghost ring sights. I should have held on to it because I have not seen another one. Even with chokes, it was a less than ideal package for me because of the large OEM sights.

I have looked into running a Mossberg, but the only field style gun that shows promise is the 835. Jerry Miculek even has a hybrid 500 that has an 835 barrel and long magazine tube. You can see him shoot it on his youtube channel.

The Mossberg pumps also do not lend themselves to load 2 / quad load because of the open shell lifter design. There is no conventional spring loaded lifter to act as a ramp to guide the first shell into the magazine tube. They are pretty quick with a conventional load just the same.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I know there are other heavy guys that have pondered the same thing.

Kuan