Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP 9mm PCC review

Alaskapopo

Product Review
IMG_1180_zpstgr46e3a.jpg

1. JP 9mm GMR-13 carbine https://www.jprifles.com/1.2.13_GMR-13.php
2. Primary Arms Advanced Series Micro Dot http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-micro-dot-with-push-buttons-and-up-to-50k-hour-battery-life/p/kt-md-ads/
3. ETS group 31 round Glock 17 magazines http://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Group-Glock-Magazines-s/1823.htm
Last winter I attended the Southeast Regional Pro-Am shoot in Georgia and had a blast. One thing this match did that I had not seen before was have a pistol caliber carbine division. I shot limited and open at the match but wished I had a PCC to shoot after being jealous of the fun I saw others having with theirs. So when I got back I looked into it and also found that USPSA was considering adding PCC (pistol caliber carbine) to their matches as a division. That made it an easy choice for me. I knew I had to get a PCC. I have owned 2 PCC in the past one was a Colt and the other was a RRA. Neither gun held my interest that long. The Colt ran fine but was a fixed carry handle model and the RRA was not 100% reliable. Enter JP. I learned that JP makes a 9mm carbine that takes Glock mags. That was an instant sale for me. I am a big Glock fan and not having to buy a ton more mags to get started was nice as was being able to use existing magazine carriers. I am also an AR15 fan so I did not consider other options like the Sig MPX.
Next up for optics. I have had great luck with Primary Arm’s Advanced Series Micro Dot. Over 50K of battery life, an auto off feature after 8 hours, and a 2 MOA dot for under $170 bucks makes it a no brainer for me. I have ran these sights on everything from.22 pistols up to the mighty .458 SOCOM without any issues. I have yet to have to return one for warranty work. Great value and it fit the JP’s mission perfectly.
Next up I have plenty of Glock 17 magazines ranging in capacity from 17 rounds to 33 but I only had a few of the big sticks. Glocks 33 round mag is not cheap so I decided to take a risk and try the ETS group high cap magazines. At 21.99 they are about half the price of the OEM Glock 33 round magazine.

Once I got the Optic mounted I took the carbine to the range and zeroed it at 25 yards. I shot it out to 100 yards on paper. Accuracy with jacketed bullets was in the 3 to 4 moa range. To date I have shot this rifle with loads ranging from 135 grain Bayou bullets powder puff competition loads to +p 147 grain Federal HST rounds. I have also shot over 300 rounds of cast lead bullets. Not one malfunction to date. This carbine just eats the ammo its given and keeps on going. I have a confession I have not cleaned it year either I am just over 1000 round down range with it right now. Anyway last weekend we had some reasonable weather and I decided to put this PCC through some drills.
4-24-16
IMG_1185_zpsav0qdre3.jpg
IMG_1184_zps0ibluatl.jpg
IMG_1183_zpszq84gpm7.jpg

Carbine Drills on Steel targets. Start was from low ready for all drills.
Drill 1. 3 12 inch steel targets at 20 yards followed by 1 Steel USPSA target at 100 yards. Average time for 10 runs was 7.32 seconds (worst run 10.72 best 5.25)
Drill 2. 3 12 inch steel targets at 20 yards. Two shots on each plate.
Average time for 5 runs was 2.69 seconds.
Drill 3. 3 12 inch plates at 20 yards. 1 6 inch MGM autopopper at 35 yards, 1 10 inch round plate at 50 yards, 1 10 inch square plate at 75 yards and 1 USPSA steel target at 100 yards. I engaged each target with one hit each
Average time for 12 runs was 7.6 seconds. (best 5.7 worst 10.92)
Drill 4. Same as above except starting in low ready with just my right hand on the rifle with the rifle shouldered. (I wanted to see how hard it would be to shoot a PCC one handed due to some concerns brought up against PCC as a USPSA division on Brianenos.com. forums)
Average time for 3 runs was 12.13 seconds. IT was actually not that hard. The JP is no light weight carbine but it was not that hard. With the left arm it was more challenging as you will see next.
Drill 5. Same as above except starting in low ready with just my left hand on the gun shouldered. (one handed shoulder firing)
Average time for 3 runs was 18.1 seconds.
For giggles I ran drill 3 starting at low ready with my .38 supercomp open pistol that I had along to confirm zero. My average time with the pistol was 9.5 seconds.
4-25-16
IMG_1189_zpsdfanbhlj.jpg
IMG_1187_zps4feh5ibo.jpg
On the second day I got my friend Greg to help me out with testing this little carbine. Greg wanted to test some different sights he had on his Glock pistols and at the end of the day I broke the carbine out and we both had a go of it on the steel we had set up for the pistols.
Drill 6 3 10 inch square targets at 10 yards with a C Zone steel target at 25 yards. Each target was shot once.
I average 2.67 seconds for 10 strings on this drill my total time was 26.68
Greg averaged 2.69 seconds for 10 strings and his total time was 26.93.
4-26-16
On the last day of my weekend (4 10’s rule) I went out with Greg to the range again and this time we rang the following drills.

Drill 7 3 10 inch square plates at 10 yards. Each plate was shot twice.
Greg averaged 2.65 seconds for 5 strings.
I averaged 2.59 seconds for 5 strings.
Drill 8 1 C zone steel target at 25 yards. Target was shot twice from low ready.
Greg averaged .94 seconds for 5 strings.
I averaged 1.04 seconds for 5 strings.
Drill 8 3 10 inch square plates at 10 yards and 1 C zone steel at 25 yards. Each target was shot twice.
Greg averaged 3.6 seconds.
I averaged 3.46 seconds.

Again not one malfunction so far with this rifle. The mags ran great. I did use a some Magpul glock mags and some OEM glock mags during the testing as well. Most of the shooting was done with the ETS mags however.
Again I love this PCC it’s a blast to shoot. There are some things I would like to have seen done differently however.
1. I wish the rifle had a bolt hold open feature. But I can live without it.
2. I hate the Ambidextrous safety that came on the JP I am going to remove it. It digs into my hand a big when I am shooting. (right side lever)
Otherwise I could not be happier and I recommend all the products tested in this amateur review. Hope to see some of you shooting PCC at USPSA and Steel Challenge matches in the future.

I have one I love as well. Love my Jp ambi safety, never causes me an issue

I hate the lever it was digging into meaty part of my hand just behind my trigger finger. Greg my shooting buddy noticed it as well. But its an easy enough fix.

Pat

There's a stubby lever for that safety, it's part number SL-3 I think. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

They're cool rifles though, I made the mistake of shooting one and now I want one bad