Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Catch Plunger Stuck

trodrig

I noticed that the bolt catch on my JP rifle was flopping around loose at the end of the Texas 3gun Championship. Upon inspection, I found that the plunger is not putting tension on the bolt catch. An empty magazine will still push the bolt catch up to lock the bolt back, however, tilting the rifle slightly to the left and cycling the bolt will also lock it back because the bolt catch will rock enough to activate. I drove out the roll pin and sure enough, the plunger is stuck in the lower. The spring will allow it to compress slightly but it would come out far enough to contact the bolt catch and keep tension to force it to be disengaged until an empty mag follower pushes up against it.

Has anyone else encountered this and have a simple trick to resolve? I've done some searching and seen folks talking about drilling a hole in the plunger to be able to hook something in there to pull it out. I'd like to try something less dramatic first, if there's an option.

Thanks!

Thomas

Had this happen once to one of our rental guns. The detent was stuck because the top of the hole it's in was slightly compressed. I used a sharpened triangular file to bevel the top edge of the detent hole and it popped right out.

KgKQx7.png

Edited by T Bacus

Had this happen once to one of our rental guns. The detent was stuck because the top of the hole it's in was slightly compressed. I used a sharpened triangular file to bevel the top edge of the detent hole and it popped right out.

KgKQx7.png

Thanks again! This popped it right out. Just a very little bit of filing got it right out!

• 3 years later...

So glad i found this thread !! Had a Colt mag CMMG 9mm carbine get this same issue. Had not shot it much (bought for Home Defense for wife "years" ago), just a few hundred rounds of ball and 3 boxes of HP to ensure we had sufficient familiarity and functionality and then sat it in the closet at the ready. Pulled it out for a shooting session (had recently replaced with a handier/zippier "pistol" version with much easier to load glock mags, don't hate me..🙄) and after about 40 rounds it started locking the bolt back on every shot !! I assumed the spring broke and ordered a new one. When it arrived i tapped out the pin and the plunger just sat there staring at me like a shell-shocked solider in a foxhole, barely any of it sticking out above the lip. I applied a "fair amount" of CLP and let it set then tried all manner of internet suggestions to get it out but no dice. I did notice on the "bottom" lower half of the recess/hole some "silver"... which i assumed was that heavy grease sometimes used on gun parts and will come out when mixed/thinned out with CLP.. but upon close examination, i found it was the raw aluminium showing through. I did not make the connection that the impact of the bolt catch on the plunger's hole "lip" had actually created a burr that extended out into the hole and then prevented the plunger from leaving the hole to push the catch out/down. I had gone back to the internet and found this string and then the lights went on.. the line drawing opened my eyes, that had to be it. Went back downstairs and grabbed the micro file set and used the small file flat on one side but arc-ed on the other, 3 small flicks later, plunger pops about half way up !! Another couple of runs and it popped right out. Pulled it completely out, hit the entire lip (lightly) with the file, flooded it with CLP to wash out any filings, cleaned out the CLP and put the spring and plunger back in.. tested it and BINGO, back in business !!  I would have never in a million years thought that the lip had "burred" over time from the bolt catch's impact, just a perfect storm.. might never happen to anyone else, but if it does, i hope they find this before they freeze or heat up or drill out their lower.. 10 seconds with a file just might do the trick !!