Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rule Question

Jan R.

Good Morning

I shot a local match yesterday and while a competitor was shooting his magazine fell out of his gun. He went to safely pick it up during the course of fire and was told that he couldn't use it and that it would be a DQ if he picked it up.

I couldn't find anything in the rules stating that this was not legal.

Thoughts please.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a true SCSA sanctioned match then picking up the mag is totally legal unless he breaks another rule while doing it, such as sweeping himself, breaking 180, etc

But if it was a local non-SCSA steel match they may have rules to the contrary

Edited by scottlep

Some of the clubs I shoot at have a no pickup rule for any match but mainly for matches where you are doing reloads on the clock. Yes the various sport rules generally do not, except for NSSF Rimfire which I think does not allow it. Still anyone who attempts a reload on the clock in SC is asking for it (except maybe revolver)( or if you forgot to switch mags between runs). Some places will allow the RSO to pick up the mag for you once you safe the firearm.

if those are USPSA sanctioned matches they are violating USPSA rules ... just like if is a SCSA sanctioned match .... perfectly legal to pick up a magazine that was dropped as long as you don't violate any other safe gun handling rule in the process ... clubs are not allowed to make up local rules which are in conflict with USPSA/SCSA rules for sanctioned matches .... too lazy to go look up the rule & quote it but it's there ...

Edited by Nimitz